i might be headin' east, might be headin' west

GONZO-X

Headin' EastWest

there is a little eastern intrigue happening in this slow heavy rock tune. It is a hopeful feeling song about taking journeys, long sojourns, to places you’ve never been before, and hoping for the best outcomes. You don’t need to know exactly what direction you are going, only that you are going. Could be east, could be west.

I really like the sound of that bass. Everything is clean and tight. I hear some molecules of Hendrix in there.
HI SPANTINI !

thanks for listening... yea, the bass was fun. that was thru the strymon iridium as well as all guitars...
i used a york audio ampeg 4x10 cab ir for the bass. i think it was a marshall superlead amp.
hendrix was one of my two original 'touchstone' influences when i first learned to play guitar.
j. beck was the other.
i really liked those guys... still do!
heh

Nice song. I like the sound. Reminds me a bit on "coast to coast" by the scorpions.
oh yea! scorpions coast to coast! been a million years, i think, since i heard that...
that's from the album with the bubblegum stuck to the woman's best parts.
yea, mine is kinda slow burn like coast to coast.

Composer Lyricist: Rudolf Schenker
heheh

HI SPANTINI !

thanks for listening... yea, the bass was fun. that was thru the strymon iridium as well as all guitars...
i used a york audio ampeg 4x10 cab ir for the bass. i think it was a marshall superlead amp.
hendrix was one of my two original 'touchstone' influences when i first learned to play guitar.
j. beck was the other.
i really liked those guys... still do!
heh
I was gonna mention Ampeg. While listening, I drifted back to when I was standing in front of my Ampeg 8x10 cab - nothing like it :guitar:

Really like it. One thing that really ramps it is the tempo - it makes it feel effortless, despite all the energy and swagger. The tambourine coming in and out pushes the tempo, and although this sounds goofy, I think it's just about the perfect tempo for tambourine. Great sound on the instruments, and that bass is beautiful. You're better than the last time I heard your stuff, too. Good work.

Great message.
And I love the melody and the guitar solo.
Thanks for sharing.
Rene
thank you rene...
that solo was a pure one-off, first take...
maybe not the first solo.... LOL!
maybe a hundred solos....
but, that one was a keeper, sometimes they just flow.

I was gonna mention Ampeg. While listening, I drifted back to when I was standing in front of my Ampeg 8x10 cab - nothing like it :guitar:
yep, ampeg was what i used in the studio way back when, but it was that little B15n rig...the portaflex... a great recording rig.
now, the impulse response of a 4x10 makes sense using it with either a fender amp or marshall...
my old bass player had TWO 4x10 folded horn design cabs stacked, similar to that 8x10... a bit easier to carry around tho!

Really like it. One thing that really ramps it is the tempo - it makes it feel effortless, despite all the energy and swagger. The tambourine coming in and out pushes the tempo, and although this sounds goofy, I think it's just about the perfect tempo for tambourine. Great sound on the instruments, and that bass is beautiful. You're better than the last time I heard your stuff, too. Good work.
hi dobro!
(i need a dobro, by the way....)

the tempo on this one, is not static, i slowed it down and sped it up just barely, to improve the groove.
swagger, yea, i actually called the demo of this 'space swagger' until i got into the solo parts...

tamborine is just me in front of a mic, trying to make it more backbeat.
i could have played it better, for sure...
it was hard to do it! like you said, because of the tempo,
it was hard to hold the tamb steady and keep the jingles going in time, they wanted to just vibrate inbetween the beats.
i think that was the hardest thing to track!! heheh

thanks for listening

the tempo on this one, is not static, i slowed it down and sped it up just barely, to impro

tamborine is just me in front of a mic, trying to make it more backbeat.
i could have played it better, for sure...
it was hard to do it! like you said, because of the tempo,
it was hard to hold the tamb steady and keep the jingles going in time, they wanted to just vibrate inbetween the beats.
i think that was the hardest thing to track!! heheh
Well, it works. Like you say, it's difficult to keep a tambourine clean and in time at a relaxed tempo. Probably straightforward if you play tambourine every day, but otherwise it's a struggle. About the subtle tempo change - you planned/programmed that?

Well, it works. Like you say, it's difficult to keep a tambourine clean and in time at a relaxed tempo. Probably straightforward if you play tambourine every day, but otherwise it's a struggle. About the subtle tempo change - you planned/programmed that?
yes, the drums are written in superior drummer 3.
the daw i work in (studio one pro) allows 'tempo maps', so i can actually change the beats per minute in very small increments (or large) and that way i can make the drummer play more backbeat during the verses, pick it up during choruses, etc.
there is never a click anyway, so i just play to the final drum tracks.

for me, drums always come first. then it's easy to get lost into the performances, because the drums tracks are almost always complete.

after tracking is finished, THEN i'll go back into the drum track and edit stuff, like adding or deleting fills or hats or cymbal hits.
the drummer always obeys.

LOL

Thanks for that. It's interesting finding out how people do stuff. I think that tempo shift thing you're doing is cunning.

Thanks for that. It's interesting finding out how people do stuff. I think that tempo shift thing you're doing is cunning.
thanks... well, the tempo shift thing, it's no different than a good drummer that understands building tension, and release, and creating a groove that breathes, and is not locked in.
i have to pretend the superior drummer is actually a smart groovy drummer!! heheh

For the last few years, I've done my own hand percussion on my tracks - djembe, bongos, brushes - and I don't rush or drag the beat, because I'm basically trying to just *keep* the beat. So my esteem for drummers and drumming has gone way up. I used to think that percussion was for people who only knew how to hit things, but it goes way deeper than that. Now I understand that drumming is 'just hitting things' the way playing a sax is 'just blowing in the small end and wiggling your fingers up and down'.

But I will try rushing the beat on the chorus a bit next time. ;-)

Rock on, man! It's been years... Guitar work is fantastic, drums sound good, and bass is definitely above par. If I can say two things, they would be - that tambourine in my right ear gets a little fatiguing, and the drums need to be brought up a bit when things get busy. Keep rockin', man!

Rock on, man! It's been years... Guitar work is fantastic, drums sound good, and bass is definitely above par. If I can say two things, they would be - that tambourine in my right ear gets a little fatiguing, and the drums need to be brought up a bit when things get busy. Keep rockin', man!
thanks poetic!
years, eh? gotta get out more...! heheh
the tamb, yea, it's tricky, because on half the sound systems i listen to it on, it sits real nice.

on the other half, it sticks out.
just depends on the playback system, really....

Back