I love my new monitors!!!

Frusciante_Fan

I am sooo happy today guys. I went monitor shopping yesterday. went to the local pro audio shop and tested 10 differant monitors. I was there about 4 hours and the sales guy was about ready to throw me out! Any ways my main focus was to find a monitor that was flat as possible and very detailed that so it lets me listen "into" the mix.

I went there with very little money. before I got there I had my eyes on the Rokit 8's or Rokits 6's by KRK.

I took a cd that I recorded in a small club in new orleans of a very good singer songwriter. The recording sound bad, really bad. I did it on a mini disc , and a shure beta 87.

My thoughts were to find the monitors that made this recording sound bad, but detailed enough to let me hear things I have never heard before.

I first tried the KRK v8 and Rokit 8. These made this sucky recording sound "very nice" And thats "very bad" cause I knew they were lying to me. The highs were a little hyped and the mids were scooped.

I then tried the mackie hr 828 ,,, well I heard alot about these and I must say I am disappointed. They sound really good , in the mid range and low end , very detailed .. But in the high end it sounded soooo hyped I could barely listen to it.

Then I tried the Event TR6 , and then heavens opened up and the light shined down on these little boxes of truth!!! I really mean it ,, this monitor made this recording sound really bad... and that is "really good" because I know this is a bad recording. Dont get me wrong , when I say it "made it sound bad" I dont mean it was taking anything away, it was just the least hyped of all the others. I also heard the same really good mid range , and low end detail as the Mackies, but with a much tamer high end.

What I didnt like about these monitors though is the sweet spot is very sharp. if you move just a little off axis the image goes overboard. so given the right setup and good technique , I feel that anyone could make good mixes with these.

Just thought id share this with you guys .... Dont get me wrong ,, newbies dont take this as gospel. Just one mans opinion.

thanks for reading.

Congrats, Frus! I've heard good things about these TR6s.

But be before you toss the box and receipt, be sure to do the obvious... listen to some great recordings, too. Spend some hours playing some high-quality pro reference CDs that you know extremely well. Make sure your new monitors present these CDs in a way that you would have been proud to have mixed. (There's another thread here about good reference CDs if you're interested.)

Best,
J.

Back