I Know this is Dumb but...What IS a shockmount

mshea

Yeah. I asked it. I searched within the microphone thread and saw instances of it but no real explanation. Yes. I do know what it looks like but was wondering if you could provide some history and/or reason for it as I am completely knowledgeless.

I have been recording with a $25 Audio Technica for the past 4 years and just received the MXL990/991 pack for a gift, along with a boom and pop filter. I noticed it didn't come with a shockmount and have no idea if i should have one or not. If so, where do i find one for that model (didn't see alone in Musician's Friend).

Thank you in advance for your assistance and Merry Christmas! :D

A shockmount, for lack of a better description, is a contraption that allows a mic to balance among a web of rubberbands. The assumption is, that small vibrations coming from the floor travel up the stand and vibrate the mic. This makes an audible reflection sound. (Put your ear to a window. Vibrations from the truck going by.) Allowing the mic to "float" detaches the mic from the vibration source.

Now your next question: Do I need one?

Well, if you live in an upstairs apartment, a pier and beam house with an open crawl space, or any place that has a sound or vibration (which is the same thing) source coming from under it, then it is advisable to get one. However, if you have been recording for 4 yrs. without any issue, then don't sweat it.

Truth is, most people get them 'cause they look cool. Like, uh, spinners on a hyundai.

Back