I know some of you hate behringer products...

Ptownkid

but does anyone have any experience with either the ultragain pro 2200 or the tube ultragain t1953? Also, other than price and one having 2 tubes instead of 1, I can't figure out what the major diference is between these two.

THanks

The 2200 pro thing has a parametric eq, the other does not. Why do you want this stuff. Get a rane or a vtb-1or a maudio "something" and a rnc and worry about tube warmth when you can afford it

Ive got a 1953.

I swapped the tubes (crappy chineese tubes) out for some JJs (russian) and its improved 100% IMO.

But still..... overall.....Its a piece of crap.

Usefull for fuzz, and thats about it.

ohhhhh, i see, i didn't even notice the eq on that one. The reason I'm asking about them is because they're cheap...and right now i'm using my alto mixer as pres, anything has to be better.

However, i have been comsidering the m-audio octane.

Ptownkid said:
...and right now i'm using my alto mixer as pres, anything has to be better.

Alto ... Behringer ... Alto ... Behringer

I dunno. Maybe vaying shades of crap, but still more crap, basically. :D

If I was going to get one of these eight channel pres I think I'd be most interested in the Studio Projects one. That looks like it could be really cool, whereas the Focusrite and M-Audio equivalents definitely have mixed reviews.

Or you could get a better mixer, such as the Soundcraft M8, where you'd retain the direct outs and gain pretty decent EQ plus all the routing you expect from a mixer. That was what I chose ... the Soundcraft M12.

If I was going to get one of these eight channel pres I think I'd be most interested in the Studio Projects one.

Why?

That looks like it could be really cool

Never mind, I see you answered the question already... I once had a girlfriend that looked really cool... boy, was I wrong... she looked good, but she wasn't cool at all. :D
Ptownkid said:
Any opinions on the octane from m-audio?
I've never used one, so I can't comment... sorry.

noisedude said:
If I was going to get one of these eight channel pres I think I'd be most interested in the Studio Projects one. That looks like it could be really cool, whereas the Focusrite and M-Audio equivalents definitely have mixed reviews.

I haven't heard any reviews on any of these things. And based on their design, they all appear to be pretty much the same damn thing.

Alan Hyatt must still be giving out free BJ's for people to talk about his stuff that they've never worked with. :D :D I agree with the part about the mixer, though. If you're going to get 8 mic pres, you might as well get a decent mixer to go with it if it isn't going to cost you much more.

What are you recording, and can you make use of ADAT? I would think that unless you are recording a whole band at once you would benefit more from dropping $600 in one or two channels of good pres than a bunch of slightly better ones you won't make much use of.

DJL - I don't know much about components etc (as you know ;)) but the SP seems to be well specced. It may, of course, be no different to the others I mentioned. But if I was going to look at one, that'd be the one I'd most want to look at, simply because I already know what people think about the others.

I think I would still go for the mixer approach anyway ... which is what I have done. Hope that makes sense :D

Chess ... if you offered me free BJs I wouldn't give Moon Unit a great write-up without visiting. However ... from the look of the owner and his gear list it would be one of the studios I might most recommend looking into ... ;)

noisedude said:
from the look of the owner and his gear list it would be one of the studios I might most recommend looking into ... ;)

You mean Moon Unit? That place is a scam. And the engineer is a spammer. Kind of a snake-oil salesman-type. I wouldn't trust the guy. :D :D

DJL said:
If I was going to get one of these eight channel pres I think I'd be most interested in the Studio Projects one.

Why?

That looks like it could be really cool

Never mind, I see you answered the question already... I once had a girlfriend that looked really cool... boy, was I wrong... she looked good, but she wasn't cool at all. :DI've never used one, so I can't comment... sorry.

LOL @ DJL-Bong's retort! :D Too many times those who are 1st starting out get caught up in the "looks" dept rather than the performance aspect of a particular product!

I should know....I too was hypnotized by a few Beh products that appeared to me in the looks dept as "awesome"!!!

Man, was I taught a lesson!!

Oh puh-lease! You ought to know me better than that, Q-man. You think the SP thing looks cool? My freakin sunglasses look cool, my 400-year-old house looks quirky cool, a piece of music gear does not. If you thought I meant I would buy it cos of how it looks cosmetically ... then you have me all wrong. The specs are what I was referring to. They look like they might be really cool. I stand by that! Jeeez. :p

Moon Unit ... yeah I imagine if the lava lamps and carpets look nice I'll hand over all my money to record there ...

chessrock said:
Alan Hyatt must still be giving out free BJ's for people to talk about his stuff that they've never worked with. :D
Shame on you for exposing noisedude's agenda... lol. :D

Thank God it's Friday. :)

Back