I know I suck and I wanna share it ;-)

Funky_A

Well ok..there a probally more neg. things to say about this then pos. but and feedback is welcome to help me get better.
I'm not talking about the drumming, cause that was without any click and just a jam I was doing :) is was purely with my mind on recording not really on getting a proper drum track laid out so it has some mistakes.

Just gimme feedback about the mix.
I think it's kinda soft..I want more volume..but this happens when I export from Cubase SX..I still got a lot to learn.
Also I think the bass drum is to loud in the mix.

Thanks,
Geert

Quite a nice drum beat :)

for the mix, i think you need to play with the EQ on it. Try adding a bit more lower freq on it all, especially the kick. its just missing that 'power', with such an energetic beat like that, you need to have the full force behind it :) play around with the EQ and see if tha helps, if not, try recording at a higher level if possible without it clipping.

thin toms and kik, maby tune kick and play with mic placement all around

i'd like more kick but what are you gonna say untill thare's more to it

Hi Geert. Nice timbre on the bass drums and toms, but they don't sound full. Perhaps a nice room reverb with lots of early reflections will fatten them up a bit? THere isn't much low frequency in the kick drum -- maybe your microphone isn't suited? I'm not sure EQ will fix it, you can't boost what's not there to begin with. If you have the channels, try micing the bottom of the snare in addition to the top, it'll get you a little more sizzle. As far as the volume on your mixdown is concerned, you need to put a compressor or limiter on your mains, or run the finished mixed down file through a separate compressor or limiter. It'll let you boost the gain on the mains without clipping.

Thanks everybody for you replies and comments.

The microphones I now use are:
sm 57 on snare
sennheiser md421 on bass drum
av-jeve clip on tom mics on toms
opus 83 on overheads.

I run these through Mikrofonpreamp SM ProAudio PR8 to Motu 1224.
I got these 2 machines really nice on a sale.

I have a couple of things in my head at the moment, so if anyone has an opinion just post it.
I have 450 euro's to spend (+-525 dollars)
I was thinking of a Beta 52 on bass drum and move the sennheiser to the 16" tom, there next to that I have another MD421 to put on the 14" tom.
Then only the 10 & 12 are going through the AV jeve mics.
Then after that beta 52 I could do 2 things:
option 1 - Buy a better mic preamp for 2 or more channels for 400 euro.
option 2 - Buy a yamaha mg series mixer together with a SM57 to put on the bottom of my head and put both the sm 57 mics in the yamah mixer and output them to 1 channel into the Motu.

I don't use the AES/EBA input on the 1224 since I don'\t really know yet what it is for. I'm still a newbie and I like to play with this stuff...but I'll find out some time if I could use the AES/EBA as a suitable input for 2nd snare mic.

Thanks,
Geert

Back