I Just Wasn't Made For These Times (Beach Boys Cover)

Very nice. I would push the instrumentation back a bit during the verse, and bring BG up (a lot) during the chorus. Also, it sounds like you mostly followed the panning on Linett's stereo mix, but remember he was limited because I believe the master tapes were only three track. I would spread the BG a bit more, for example on the first prechorus.

I don't know if you were going for strict accuracy (sounds like it), but I think there is a female vox that doubles the electro-theremin (forgot what that instrument was actually called) the second time through its melody (at 2:40-ish). I'll have to listen to the original, seems like there was something there deep in the recesses of my mind . . .

I fully intended to listen to your cover song to make fun of it. But I am amazed on how well it turned out. I am a HUGE fan of The Beach Boys and Brian in particular. If your interested I have many Cd's that you might not have heard before. PM me and we might be able to work something out. BTW how did you get the electro-theremin? I have been wanting to experiment with something like that. Let me know.

I forgot to add that the only thing I would do is try to slow the song down just a little. I think it would sound even better.

Lovely job.
I bet you learnt a lot in the process.
Did you attempt a mono mix - I'd be very interested in hearing it if you did.
I quite like the stereo mix of PS because of the chance to get more detailed info about the parts BUT the mono mix rules.
I quite like Brians reworking of this song with Don Waas too - it has a fragility taht is appealing in a potential train wreck sort of way.

Back