I just purchased a MacBook Pro with Logic

whattaguy

I got a good deal on the last generation's MacBook Pro, but it has a 5400rpm drive in it. I just installed a 320gb 7200rpm in my Dell laptop before I bought the MacBook. Would it be better to swap out drives? Or should I just use an external 7200rpm drive for the MacBook.

Swapping out the HDD in the MacBook Pro isn't as easy as in Dells. I just want to double check before any "surgery".

Also, is anyone using Bootcamp, Parallels, or VMware Fusion? Any recommendations? I still have some projects in Sonar that I want to run.

Thanks.

I probably wouldn't bother. These days, 5400 RPM laptop drives are faster than desktop drives were five years ago, seek times notwithstanding. If you're running into performance issues because of seek times, your audio app isn't prefetching far enough ahead; tweak the settings in your DAW and add RAM if necessary.

Bottom line is that chances are you won't run into the limit of the stock drive. If you do, add an external drive.

BTW, make sure you immediately buy an external hard drive and set it up as a Time Machine backup drive. Laptop hard drives these days are notorious for reliability problems.

If you're not going to use the other laptop, you could stick its drive in an external case and use that.

Back