I just don't get it.setup help delta 66

nattn

If anyone that can help me set up my system intelligently, I would be most grateful.

I just bought a Delta 66 to replace the recording functions of my SB card. I am however having a difficult time setting up the system correctly.

The Hardware/Software install was no problem. Not knowing how to best route all of my components is. Right now I have the M-1's input directly into the delta's breakout box in my 1&2 outs. My mixer is running directly to the breakout box as well via a RCA L/R to a 1/4 " into my #1 in. My headphone amp is running RCA L/R to 1/4" into #2 in.

I am having too many problems to mention, but all in all the quality of the sound is disappointing with the way I have things set up. my recording levels are low & my playback in cubase is low. This is with my mixer settings in the delta software at its max. I have to use the mixer for it's phantom power.

I'm sure the card is great & it is user error that is causing my difficulties. If anyone can give me input on an optimal way to set up a system like mine, I'd be forever in their debt.

My setup is as follows:
-P-3 900mhz 40 gig 256k memory (Windows ME)
-Behringer MX 1604a mixer
-Delta 66 Audio Card
-Soundblaster Platinum 5.1 audio card
-Rolls 5 Channel Headphone Amplifier
-Behringer Virtualizer Pro efx processor
-Alesis M1 Active monitors
-Audio Technica 4033 condensor mic (1)
-shure sm57 mic (1)
-cubase 5 VST

nattn-

I know some Behringer-basher will soon be on here saying it's the mixer fault - but I have a similar setup (Behringer MX1604a; Delta 44, etc.) and it works great. Here's what I would try if I were you:

- use the main L/R outs of the mixer into line in 1/2 of the breakout box (I'm assuming that you are now using the 'tape outs' since you said it is RCA)
- use the 'control room' L/R outs on the mixer to feed your monitors
- use the headphone out on the mixer to feed your headphones (or headphone amp)
- hook up the line out 1/2 of the breakout box into one of the stereo channels on the mixer
- you can also record 2 more channels at once with the MX1604a using the Alt3/4 bus (take the Alt 3/4 L/R outs into line in 3/4 of the breakout box)

**ALWAYS use high-quality cables**

thanks pratt

Thanks Pratt, I think I'm getting closer. I'm still a little confused with mic levels when recording, & i can never get the same volume level that I hear on my monitors pre-record that i do in playback (playback is considerably lower).

Also, unless i mess with the gain on channel 4 (where playback is happening. I do not get the full-on benefit of my monitors.

Do you just turn off your monitors when you are monitoring through headphones? I am assuming that with this config there is no way to bypass one or the other.

Thanks for your help.

does the delta66 have the option to switch between +4 and -10?

If your mixer is -10 and you record at +4, your levels will be approx 12 db lower than the levels coming from the mixer.

what you should do is set the inputs to -10 so that the mixer and the delta66 are happening at the same levels.

peace

Hi, nattn,

I have the Behringer set up like this:

I use channels 1-4 for mics, usually just #1.

I use 5/6 for the Delta's 1/2 outputs, and 7/8 for the SB Live's L/R outputs.

My monitors go to the Main XLR balanced outs, and the Alt 3/4 outputs go into the Delta's 1/2 inputs.

To record, I plug in a mic and assign it to the 3/4 bus.

(CAVEAT: OK, here's where it gets a little fuzzy, and each time I do this I scratch my head and think, "do I have this right?", so take it with a grain of salt).

In fact, now that I sit here and try to describe it, I can't figure it out. I must be turning off the speakers. That way I can send both the Alt 3/4 signals and the Main Mix to the phones... I can't see any other way to do it with what I have set up... if I was to do what I thought I was about to describe when I started writing this, it would send the outputs of the sound cards back into the inputs, which would not be cool... I'd betrter check back on some of those recordings I did! Eeeegads! I hope I haven't been stupid...

(As you can probably guess, I do 99.5% of my recording with just direct guitar and bass and almost never sing...)

-AlChuck

couple a' things:

- I have my Delta44 inputs and outputs set at +4 and I have no problems with recording levels coming in from my mixer

- to set your mic recording levels with the Behringer - here's what to do:
plug your mic into one of the line-ins 1-4; press the PFL/Solo button for that channel; make sure the PFL/Solo channel mode button is up (this is underneath the meters); do whatever you're going to do into the mic (sing, play guitar, etc.) and adjust the gain until the meter is peaking around 0

- if you plug your monitors into the Control Room outs than you can adjust their volume with the Ctrl R/Phones volume knob - also, I think the signal is sent to both the phones and Ctrl Room outs (there's no bypass for one or the other) - so if you only want to monitor via phones just turn off your amp/monitors!!

- AlChuck - how does your setup work??? it's my understanding that if you route a channel to the Alt3/4 bus than it isn't sent to the main outs (at least I hope so - since I am using the main and Alt3/4 busses to sent 4 separate channels to my Delta44) - ooops - I just figured it out!! - you must have the Alt3/4 to mix button depressed, right???

- nattn - you shouldn't have to mess with the 'gain' to get a good playback signal - use one of the stereo channels and adjust volume with the fader (and also the Control Room volume - see above) - also, you can adjust the volume of the track in your recording program as well (at least I can in Cubase)

ok, sorry for the long-winded response. let me know how you get things working

Thanks AlChuck,

I'm thinking that your setup is going to work best for my needs. I rarely if ever do any multi-track recording, so I'm not too worried about the 3/4 signal & main mix issue. I'll hear them both in playback yes?

You did solve my problem w/ the SB card. I was trying to figure out how I was going to hear my midi stuff.

Better go out & get some more cables!

This BBS is friggen fantastic!

Thanks for your input
AlChuck
CyanJaguar
Pratt

Ok, I'm using AlChuck's config & everything is working great! One thing I can't figure out though, when channel 1 is routed to 3/4, How do I mute that channel?

Also, what is the best way to route my FX processor to my board?

One thing I can't figure out though, when channel 1 is routed to 3/4, How do I mute that channel?

Pull down the Alt 3/4 fader, or have the Alt 3-4 to Mix button disengaged

Also, what is the best way to route my FX processor to my board?

Use the Aux sends and returns.

thanks Alchuck.

you are only one post from 1k! So i'll ask you one more ? I do not quite understand the Art Compressor that I just purchased. Let's say my mic is in channel 1 using the phantom power of the Behringer. Where do I put the compressor?

since Alchuck already reached 1000...

nattn-

Unfortunately, the Behringer does not have channel inserts - this is where you normally would plug your compressor into. Here's one way of patching in your compressor with this mixer:

take the Alt3/4 outs into the compressor; route the channel that you want compressed through the Alt3/4 bus; take the compressor outs into an empty channel on your board

this is a pretty lame way of doing it since you can't really send the channel to Alt3/4 bus pre-EQ/fader and whatnot - but unless you have an external preamp it may be the only way. I use an external preamp w/phantom power (Presonus Bluetube) - I can then take the preamp outs into the compressor and then from the compressor into a channel on the board and into my mix. That's too many pieces in the chain - but it's all I got for now and it works for me.

pratt

Thanks Pratt,

What I may do is get a external preamp & run a chain like this: mic=pre=compressor=breakout box & bypass the mixer altogether. I've heard good things about the blue tube, what do you think of the art tube MP ? It's on sale for like 79 bucks at a local joint here in LA. The salesman said the preamp is pretty killer especially on his Bass

The Behringer does have an aux send and return (or is it a pair of them even?)

Hey, I made 1,000 within a year of signing up... actually that's not quite true, I probably signed up in early March last year...

From my experience - the bluetube and ART tube mp are very similar - I got the bluetube because I needed 2 channels and the price was righ ($150). I looked at the ART dual tube mp - which is basically two tube mps put together in one rack and hooked up to a good power supply. it was $100 more than the bluetube, though, and my budget's tight. I think that the chain that you mentioned as long as you only want to record that 1 thing on 1 track. I'm recording a drumkit with 6 mics so I need to submix some of the stuff before going into the breakout box (which only has 4 ins/outs)

yeah, I use the bluetube on my bass as well and it kicks butt - it really fattens up the sound alot. I normally use it as a preamp/phantom power source for 2 rode nt3s that I use as drumset overheads. if you only need 1 channel - 80bucks is a pretty good price for the tube mp though

AlChuck - it was my understanding that effects loops weren't so good for compressors - since with compressors you want to 'compress' the whole signal, not just part - and it's virtually impossible to send 100% of the signal with a loop, unless you want extreme noise - this is why inserts are normally used

Back