I just bought a reel to reel, after all these years of telling everyone how stupid they are if they do it!

rob aylestone

In my teens, I started some freelance work for broadcasters (BBC Local Radio) and of course it was all reel to reels. I started on Ferrograph Series 7, then Super 7, then for a few months Logic 7. Ferrograph were a very traditional recorder, that rarely made it out of the UK, and was built like a tank. It's only real difference being you put it into wind, and a rotary knob for setting which way and at what speed. Neat!

Then I stopped working for them for a while and when I went back the Ferrographs had gone and they had converted Revox machines - a UK company called ASC took a Revox, removed lots of knobs and the meters, leaving a new empty panel where you could splice. Presets set the input and output gain, so as levels were a standard in the BBC, you could simply hit record or play.

I really missed the machines and have been looking for a decent one, of any of the three types, for ages. Good ones are rare. Faults mainly revolve around rubber. The boffins at Ferrograph from series 7 onwards, used a rubber compound that was awful. It started getting softer, then sticky, then lumpy - so swapping these is a common fault cure, and of course the little felt pads on the head pressure arms.

I've managed to get a well looked after Logic - oddly, my favourite was the Super 7, but these still had the mechanical transport control, the logic has normal buttons.

Do I need it? No
Will it be better than anything I currently own? No
Is it small and compact? No
Was it cheap? er, No
Am I stupid? Probably

I'm collecting it Tuesday - a 4 hour drive.

Why would I buy a 40 year old mechanical recorder that uses media that cost a fortune, yet produces sound no better than the cheapest interface can manage? I have no idea. I just hope this is a one off and I don't start to be an active member of the analogue brigade. One purchase surely just makes me a casual member, not an enthusiast, hopefully. It even has two speakers in the case and a built in 10W stereo amplifier. Luxury.

Cool! I found this short video : Logic 7 Recorder

I had a Tascam 38 which was a beautiful piece of gear.. when it was fully operational. I wouldn't want one of those back for all the tea in China. Plus it weighed as much as a VW Beetle (with engine.. fully fueled.. and the high school's football team front linemen inside).

Last edited:

I just bought a reel to reel, after all these years of telling everyone how stupid they are if they do it!​

Do you realize how stupid you are???? :ROFLMAO:

(Sorry, I just couldn't help myself!)

I've actually got my brother's old Sony TC-650 in the basement. It probably hasn't been turned on in 20 years. I am hoping that if all the rubber parts haven't turned to tar, and it fires up, I might be able to transfer some of the reels that my dad recorded on his old mono recorder in the 50s and 60s. I have no idea what types of gems are on those reels.

My parents had a Sony TC-630 when I was a kid…I still have it. It needs refurbished. But my brother and I spent hours and hours playing with it…using the SOS functionality to do crazy stuff…I have a box of tapes somewhere. Someday I’ll get it going and transfer those tapes.

@rob aylestone that is a pretty cool looking machine. Have no fear. It won’t bite.

There is something special about re-owning gear you regret selling. This is why I started the policy of not selling gear, and why there is junk everywhere. I mentioned to my wife about being missing all of tuesday = "What have you bought?", she knows me so well. I said do you remember that huge reel to reel tape recorder we had in the 70s when we recorded NR32, and she said yes, it fell out the back of the van and still worked! I'd forgotten!

I just hope this is a one off and I don't start to be an active member of the analogue brigade. One purchase surely just makes me a casual member, not an enthusiast, hopefully.
Umm, errr, what are you going to use for all your outboard gear?

Well, I don't think I will use it for anything other than using it as any other stereo recorder. I'm dangerously close to what I've done with my guitar collection - which looks pretty on wall hangers, but the ones I play regularly, lean up against the wall. I don't even have any old tapes! Nothing. It's a foolish purchase with no sensible reason. Hopefully, with a small outlay on a couple of parts, it will be a working ornament, that's it!

Cool! I found this short video : Logic 7 Recorder

I had a Tascam 38 which was a beautiful piece of gear.. when it was fully operational. I wouldn't want one of those back for all the tea in China. Plus it weighed as much as a VW Beetle (with engine.. fully fueled.. and the high school's football team front linemen inside).
Oh, c'mon! 38s aren't that heavy! 😁

In the late 80's, I had a Fostex 450 mixer. I used that for home recording with my Tascam 38 and also as a stage mixer for our band(s). Never let me down. One night, someone broke into my car and ripped it off - I replaced it with the 688 which was part of "the great liquidation of nought-9". I never missed that 688, but I've had a strong urge to purchase another Fostex 450, partially because of nostalgia, partially due to it's great looks, and partially just because. I have no room for it, and I really have no practical use for it either. Just because..

Spantini, there's one on Reverb for $150. Say's that it's mint. For the price of a nice family dinner, you can have another piece of gear in the closet! :-)

Currently, my closet space is being hogged by the boxes my monitors came in (thank you @jimmys69 ;) ), along with others. I just couldn't throw those out as I'm a registered product box hoarder. Maybe someone will create a Fostex 450 NFT, then I could have the experience of laying out cash money while having a perfect model to enjoy whenever I felt the urge. I mean, even with the real one I wouldn't actually be using it, or otherwise interacting with physically - so same difference. Right? :D

Or... I could throw my grandmother out of that closet, maybe she'll fit in the room with the water heater (no mixer room there either), it'll be close. I don't think she'll go for that. :eek:

Last edited:
Well I got it, from a nice guy with a studio at the bottom of the garden, and it looks like the only think I need to sort is a new pinch wheel - well, I have the brass roller - but need a rubber. Other than that, all looks good. Now of course the struggle will be the rubber, or a whole replacement roller with rubber. One has come back as a solid no, and I have two further possibilities - so time will tell.

In my teens, I started some freelance work for broadcasters (BBC Local Radio) and of course it was all reel to reels. I started on Ferrograph Series 7, then Super 7, then for a few months Logic 7. Ferrograph were a very traditional recorder, that rarely made it out of the UK, and was built like a tank. It's only real difference being you put it into wind, and a rotary knob for setting which way and at what speed. Neat

Do I need it? No
Will it be better than anything I currently own? No
Is it small and compact? No
Was it cheap? er, No
Am I stupid? Probably

I'm collecting it Tuesday - a 4 hour drive.

Why would I buy a 40 year old mechanical recorder that uses media that cost a fortune, yet produces sound no better than the cheapest interface can manage? I have no idea. I just hope this is a one off and I don't start to be an active member of the analogue brigade. One purchase surely just makes me a casual member, not an enthusiast, hopefully. It even has two speakers in the case and a built in 10W stereo amplifier. Luxury.
If you aren't trying to make money from the Machine - and you have a lot of free time to tune it up every time you use it - I'd say good luck - My time is way to valuable to address all the Tape Machine issues that come up.

Back