I just added hard drive, now what??

Ace2000

Hello all,

Today I grabbed a new additional hard drive for my PC Pent 4.
I grabbed 40G worth of more hard drive space.7200 RPM.
I've never put one in before or ever really buggered with the computer's panels off. but anyways here's a breakdown:

I took it apart and unhooked the Hard drive in there and changed the jumper setting to what I thought was master.
I couldnt reboot the computer for at least 12 attempts. I thought I freid the bitch. With all my audio files gone. I was thinking I mayhave to buy another computer...then I thought screw it, change the jumper settings until they are right....well, after a few try's I finally got the computer to boot up. then I shut it down....
I chose CS jumper settings for both hard drives, then I attached the grey thing tot he new hard drive the black to the original C: drive. then I booted her up and set the BIOS.....that took some trial and error too. AT first the computer wouldn't recognize the new drive....but then after tweaking the BIOS stuff a bit suddenly it recognized the new drive.....and then of course I ran the formatting software and moved all my audio to the new drive....
SO, it's beena successful but frustrating 4 hour ordeal to gett he computer going back top notch, but I made it.

My next question is, now that I have Cubase and two seperate drives with a total of about 80 gig between them, what should I do for good soundcard stuff. I have a small mackie 1202 VLZ and may upgrade soon to the 16, but I'd like around 4 or 6 inputs intot he soundcard..SPDIF would be nice too.

I'm doing a search on the topic but I keep seeing Delta 66
or Audiophile....whats the diference?

In particular to my case, I want the best sound I can get for my money on a 4 or 6 input card and I'm using a Pentium 4 if that matters...what would you buy tomorrow from a dealer if you were gonna get a soundcard to have about a minimum of 4 inputs to hook up with external mixer...plus SPDIF inputs...

any suggestions???

PS- anyone use compressed air to clean out the inside of the computer form dust??? whats the stuff to use???

thanks for the rant......

Ace2000 said:

SO, it's beena successful but frustrating 4 hour ordeal to gett he computer going back top notch, but I made it.

All the people here that come with advice on these subjects have gone through the same thing. Well done. Some day you'll be able to help others yourself :)

I'm doing a search on the topic but I keep seeing Delta 66 or Audiophile....whats the diference?
Audiophile: 2channels unbalanced analogue i/o at 24bits/96khz + 24/96khz spdif + midi i/o.
Delta 66: 4 channels balanced analogue i/o in a breakout box + spdif. Check their site for all the ins and outs: www.midiman.net

In particular to my case, I want the best sound I can get for my oney on a 4 or 6 input card and I'm using a Pentium 4 if that matters...what would you buy tomorrow from a dealer if you were gonna get a soundcard to have about a minimum of 4 inputs to hook up with external mixer...plus SPDIF inputs...

any suggestions???

Delta 66 sounds perfect for you.

PS- anyone use compressed air to clean out the inside of the computer form dust??? whats the stuff to use???

Never used anything but my more than average lung capacity. :)

canned air works well- dont hold it on place- youll notice that it wil make a frozen wet spot if ya do - thats probably no good- good job with the hard drive- i started with computers the same way- mom was not happy when my quick computer repairs had her machine down for a day or two- i better now though. As far as hardware is concerned if you pulled that off you shouldnt have problems doing pretty much anything else inside- just watch the jumper setting in IDE stuff- excellent work

-jeff

kremitmusic said:
canned air works well

If you're using this to clean fans out, jam the fan so it can't rotate. The output of a compressed air can can seriously whizz up the fan to the point where it could damage the electronics.

Oh yeah, if it's that dusty, take it outside and stand back. Nothing worse than an eyeful of fine dust, propelled by compressed air!.

Mike.

mjbee said:
If you're using this to clean fans out, jam the fan so it can't rotate. The output of a compressed air can can seriously whizz up the fan to the point where it could damage the electronics.

Mike.

Hey there is something I hadn't thought of...good point.

The difference between the Audiophile and the 66 is the Audiophile has only 2 ins/outs. Whereas the 66 has 4 ins/outs as well as SPDIF.

http://www.m-audio.com

take a look there^^^

Hmmm..IDE BUS, two drives on primary

Well, I've been reading lots of threads around here and I have afew questions about my hard drive installation now if you guys don't mind shedding some light on this:

1: Inside my computer I have one IDE Cable with a blue connector on the MoBo going to the master drive with the black pin connector connected to it....this drive has my OS/applications. I have the grey pin connector from this same cable plugged into my new 40 G hard drive that I want to use strictly for Audio files.

2- There is another simliar looking cable going stright to the CD-ROm, it has no grey pin connectors on it, only black ones.
Is there anything I can do with this?

My jumper settings as I've said, are Cable Select.

I'm using WIndows 2000
Inside my BIOS it's set like this:

Primary Master : OS/System Drive
Primary SLave : 40 G AUdio Drive

Secondary Master: CD-Rom
Secondary SLave : Not installed.

Now I have a question. I've been reading threw streams of threads here that it's better to have the new hard drive as a secondary master...am I really missing enough speed ect to bother tinkering with the case open again?

DO I have to change cables to achieve this, or is it just something I need to change in the BIOS? I'm getting the imression from all I've read here that I would first have to

Run the Blue connector IDE Cable's Black pin to the original OS Hard Drive and then slave with the grey connector pin the CD-ROm.

Then would that other black connector cable that has no grey pins on it for slaves, would I be able to use that to connect straight to the new hard drive and make that a secondary master?? But then again, maybe that black connector cable that originally connected tot he CD-ROm isn't even a proper cable for a hard drive? they sure look the same though and fit intot the sockets the same.. Can this cable power a hard drive?
Otherise I only have one IDE cable with the BLUE connector on the MoBo.

am I on the right trtack or would that be a major screw up?

if you can shed any additional advice, much appreciated.

althout those cables look the same, they most likely are not the same- the cable to the hard drive is probably like a smoth ribbon- right- the one to the cd is similar but probably has more ridges on it- usually the cable for hard drives is 80 pins and the ones for cd-roms are 40. you can use an 80 pic for cd but realy shouldnt use a 40 for hard drives- the bright side is if you bought a new hard drive, it should have come with a new 80 pin cable- (theres names for the 2 but i cant remeber what they are) - as far a speed you may notice a difference- maybe not- eventually though youll probably want a cd burner and you probably dont want the audio drive and burner on the same cable. Dont take what ive said as gospel but im sure if im wrong then someone here will correct me- this is info as i understand it :D

-jeff

external cd??

I have an External CD Burner that uses one of the ports on the back of the computer.to run, so there's no internal messing around with cables to burn with...

will that make a difference?

no- thats good- probably not as fast of a burn rate though- usually external burners are a little slower- but thats ok- just one less thing on the IDE cables so no problema- you may be better off putting the two drives on different cables- you did get another cable with the drive right?

-jeff

ya, they gave anothe rcable.

yup, they gave me a new cable with the new hard drive, it's still sitting in the box.

So, Could I like Slave the CD-ROm drive off the Primary Master Drive, and then use that supplied cable to make the new hard drive secondary master?

otherwise, what can I do with th enew cable they gave me?

LIke I said earlier, I have the Mobo with one Blue plastic connector socket on it. From that I have my Primary master and slave....both are my hard drives.

then from a black connector ont he Mobo, I have the CD-ROm hooked up as secondary master, with nothing on slave.

is this a dumb way to have it?

can I use that new cable to make the new drive a secondary master?

yup- maybe not dumb- just not optimal- think if it this way- youll wanna leave the primary os drive where its at to prevent any conflicts as far as booting (maybe cause a prob maybe not) it will be labeled on the board primary and secondary (real small in crapy hard to read letters) take the new cable plug it into the board where the old cd cable was(so that the two drive connection are at the other end)- set the jumper on the audio drive to master- jumper on the cd-rom to slave- dont think it really matter where they go on the cable as long as you set the jumpers- you can leave the jumper on the original drive the way it is- so heres the break down-

primary- os drive
secondary- master- audio drive
- slave- cd rom

if your usin win 2k or xp you shouldnt have to mess with the BIOS- it should just see what ya got and work with it

btw- i just bought the 1010lt monday night- gonna do some recording this weekend- let ya know what i think- but i upgraded from the 2496-just needed more inputs- so im sure ill love it

-jeff

Back