I hit the MOTHERLOAD!!!

chris-from-ky

Well, I thought I'd just share a bit of good fortune with you all since that is a rarity for me. I was at a family reunion this past weekend when I'm sitting with my grandfather talking about a flea market he visited that had mediocre wooden furniture for outrageous prices. So, I say "One day I'd like to get into building things like bookcases or a rack for all our dvd's and stuff but, I can't really afford to right now." So my grandfather says, "where would you keep all your tools?" I say, "My garage." He say's, "So you'd turn your garage into a wood shop?" I say, "Yeah." Then he says, "When's your birthday?" I tell him and he says, "You've got yourself a wood shop. Come by my house with your truck and I'll give you all you need to have yourself a nice wood shop." And we shook hands. I WAS STUNNED!!!!! My grandfather owns all kinds of stuff and he's just going to give it to me!!!! I said, "Oh my gosh! Thanks. I don't know what to say. I'm speechless." My grandmother who's sitting next to my grandfather says, "Honey, you don't have to say anything. We love you."

I love my grandparents!!! And now I can do stuff I've always wanted to do. I'll start with the DVD rack, then I was thinking of making some racks for my gear and a Quadratic Residue Diffusor and some night stands for the master bedroom. Man, I can't wait to pick up all that hardware!! Grandparents ROCK!!!

Well, thanks for letting me brag a bit.

Nice one!
Family that takes care of each other is a great thing, and not as common as it used to be. Make sure you spend lots of time with the grandparents, that is what they would most like in return, i am sure. Great score too, I can vouch that even a basic workshop is very expensive to get going.

I got into woodworking from growing up in my grandfathers shop, and that kind of thing will stick with you. There is nothing like the feeling of building something yourself, and even better finding a need for somethign that is not there yet and putting your mind to making the piece needed to fill that need.

Advice: DO NOT play with power tools. Treat the safety stuff as an absolute. Check out the various websites for amateur woodworkers, and read up on techniques and check out some of hte stpries of destruction. Most serious woodworking injuries come from disabling safety devices for convienience or from allowing yourself to be distracted for a moment. There is no amount of precation that is too much-- a bandsaw or tablesaw will do throguh bone as easily as wood. Enogh lecture, but get into goo dhabits right away, tink about if you were showing YOUR grandchild the ropes and how you would want them to do things.

Last, if you are new to woodworking, see if there are some classes available. Like anything rewarding, this "hobby" takes skill and can be very frustrating when hours of work go out the window because the right skills are not being used. I am very retentive about hte quality of things i do, and it made me put the shop away for nearly a year as i dealt with the fact that stuff i did was not to the qulaity i wanted at first.

Good luck and enjoy!

Daav

If you don't have experience with woodworking, make sure to buy a good book on using powertools. You MUST learn to use things safly before you turn on a single tool. We have a sign up on the wall in the shop that shows a guy holding up his hands. Above it, the caption says "you ten best tools; no extras in stock."

Just remember, be careful.

Light

"Cowards can never be moral."
M.K. Gandhi

Chris,

I was hoping you were getting a ton of Recording Equipment.

Woodworking is cool too. My dad is a carpenter and learned much from him growing up. I built most of my studio furniture. It can be much cheaper and more specific to your needs. Good luck. :)

fraserhutch said:
So, is it true that people from your neck of the woods go to family reunions to get dates?
I'm sure it happens, otherwise Jerry Springer wouldn't have a day job. :D

My grandfather told me a story about a couple of cousins up the family tree who got hitched. Everybody rationalized that it was OK since the guy couldn't father children.

My wife and I got married then got scared that we may be distant cousins from a mispronunciation of a relative's last name, but luckily it was all good and the names didn't match. We laughed so hard because before that when we went to get our marriage license, the clerk said, "Ok, I have to ask you this. To your knowledge, are you already related to each other?" Of course we said, "No!" It would've been funny if we actually were and didn't know it. If we had been, it would've been like 5th cousins which in this "neck of the woods" is acceptable. It'd still wierd me out though.

Reminds me of my favorite part in the movie "Joe Dirt". Joe's getting lucky and the girl is screaming, "I'm your sister! I'm your sister! I'm your sister!"

That's just too darn funny!!!! :D

Fishmed_Returns said:
I was hoping you were getting a ton of Recording Equipment.
That would've been great too. I'll gladly take the carpentry stuff cause it might make a better third income than any recordings I could do. I do have some experience with wood working, but I'm no Ty Pennington. Practice makes perfect!

To everyone, thanks for the tips and advice. I'll do my best to adhere to it!

chris-from-ky said:
My grandfather told me a story about a couple of cousins up the family tree who got hitched.

If you go back far enough in the family tree, EVERYBODY has first cousins who married, I will guarantee it! Usually somewhere in the 18th century, sometimes not even that far back! :eek:

nice...

when are you starting your tour of homerecording.com BBS member's houses to hook everybody up?

:D

grandfathers are awesome. i was at my grandpas house a few weeks ago and he brought out a 12 string acoustic guitar he just got. i asked him where he got it because i was looking for one too, and he says "you can have this one".

Back