I have a Lexicon MPX 100

Jeff_D

and it has midi connections on the back. I dont know shit about midi- i dont even have a midi cable laying around. I also have a Delta 1010lt sound card with midi connections. Sooooo.....

It occured to me- is there a way to connect the Lexicon fx processor up to my computer via midi and use some software to control the Lexicons parameters? Is there any real benifit to doing this? Will it let me save my own presets easier (like i can with a plugin?) Am i totally missin the point of the midi connections? if so then what IS the point?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. :)

That's the whole point.

As to exactly WHAT you can control via midi is up to the implementation. I don't have a MPX100, so I couldn't tell you, but that info should be in the user guide.

Thanks Fraser-

I flipped through the manual and there were alot of references to control numbers and data streams and other things i really dont have a whole lot of interest in (i know that sounds kinda bad). I guess reality is, if i cant download or go buy a software with some type of graphical interface, plug in a few midi cables and make it work, then i probably isnt gonna happen.

What type of software would i even need to controll the thing?

Thanks again.

kremitmusic said:
Thanks Fraser-

I flipped through the manual and there were alot of references to control numbers and data streams and other things i really dont have a whole lot of interest in (i know that sounds kinda bad). I guess reality is, if i cant download or go buy a software with some type of graphical interface, plug in a few midi cables and make it work, then i probably isnt gonna happen.

What type of software would i even need to controll the thing?

Thanks again.

MIDI is nothing more than a opcode-based language.
Essentially, every "command" is of the flavour <opcode><value1>[,Value2>].
Furthermore, the commands are stateless, which means that intrinsically, there are no inter-dependencies between commands.
Most importantly, some of the commands have a well-defined usage, such as volume, note on, note off, etc, while others are open for designation, which means you can use them for hwatever you want.

It is the last part of this that allows manufucturers to control features that were'nt even on the map 20 years ago when MIDI was designed. That same feature makes it virtually impossible to write a general purpose software app that would do what you suggest.

In the end, in general, if you want access to these features in midi, you need to get your hands dirty and play around a bit, or, hope that someone else has the same interest that you do and does the work for you.

Damn Fraser- I wouldnt even know where or how to start. :confused:
Lets say i did plug my Lexicon into my computer....THEN what? - what kind if software would i even use to see it?!?

So far this sounds a bit out of my grasp (or desire). It really works just fine for me the way it is. I guess i was just looking for a little easier interface to work with it. SOunds like it probably isnt out there.

I have a Lexicon MPX 100 too, and was about to go into detail about where and how midi can help you to get the most out of this fine little fx box. But then I thought 'why should I care more about this than he does?' and sat down until the urge to answer your question went away...

ssscientist said:
I have a Lexicon MPX 100 too, and was about to go into detail about where and how midi can help you to get the most out of this fine little fx box. But then I thought 'why should I care more about this than he does?' and sat down until the urge to answer your question went away...
Any help you can give i would appreciate. And if i didnt care, I wouldnt have asked the question, but the point is, I dont use midi for ANYTHING else. I dont even own a midi cable. So the questions is really two fold;

1) With no previous knowledge what-so-ever of midi and no use for it in what do other than this specific application, is it practical for me to expect to be able to connect this thing and be better off for it? i.e. will i gain any benifit that i dont currently have?

2) Lets say the answer to the first questions is "yeah- you get to do some cool stuff by connecting your fx processor to your puter and it wont take you a 4 year degree to understand what the hell you're doin"; then--- what application or program would i even use to control this thing from my computer- again- I am completely clueless when it comes to midi- and i know- i should just plug it in and play around- but i dont even really know how to get that far. I did a search on google for Lexicon software to control the thing and i came up with nothin. So- either Lexicon doenst make an application to do this- or Im missing something.

If i have to learn some type of "programming" or "machine control" language to use this and if theres a huge learning curve, then i really dont have time to mess with it at this point. So, really its not that i dont care. Its really more like; what will my investment in time be (considering i dont know shit right now) and what will my return on investment be. If i have to invest 100 hours figuring out how to code or make or find an application and the net result is that i turn a knob on my computer screen instead of on the front of the unit- then it really isnt worth it to me. But if my investment is a few hours screwing around- download some software- play with it for a while and i get some additional functionallity that i didnt hwave be for- then yes! I am interested.

...soooo if you want to help, cool- i do appreciate it. and if not, then whatever- thats fine too.

Well, I just found a manual online.
http://www.evergreen.edu/media/pdf/MPX100_User_Guide_Eng_Rev0.pdf

Via midi you can select the effects program by bank/patch.

Also, what audio software are you using? You would need software to generate and forward the midi commands to the unit.

You can use continous controllers to set Mix, Effects, Level Balance (LvlBal), Adjust, Bypass, or Tap.

the thing is, you'd have to "teach" the unit these things via it's learn mode, so there would be a certain amount of work for you to do to get this thing going. It should be interesting though :)

I think thats kinda part of the problem- I use Cool Edit- and as far as i know it has zero midi capability- is there a stand-alone program (preferably something free / demo) that i can at least get started screwing with this thing so i can see what it (and I) am capable of.

THANKS,
/Jeff

Back