I have a ldc and a sdc for dirty guit. How?

CyanJaguar

How would you go about it?

use the small for direct and the large for room

or vice vera?

how do you use 2 condensers to mic a cab, and are there phase issues to be addressed?

and how do I create stereo separation?

CyanJaguar said:
How would you go about it?

use the small for direct and the large for room

or vice vera?

how do you use 2 condensers to mic a cab, and are there phase issues to be addressed?

and how do I create stereo separation?

It's hard for me to believe that you have 3000 posts and have been here 5 years and are asking these questions

BRIEFCASEMANX said:
It's hard for me to believe that you have 3000 posts and have been here 5 years and are asking these questions

Ouch.. Especially since there isn't a right answer.

I would just use one mic and adjust the mic spacing from the amp to get the right blend of room and direct sound.

reshp1 said:
Ouch.. Especially since there isn't a right answer.

Yeah, I guess that was rude, but If he/she knows what "phase" is than it would be obvious that there are "phase issues to be addressed" when using 2 mics? Questions like "how do you use 2 condensers to mic a cab"??? He also didn't list what mics he was using or much other pertinent infos

I guess I will bite though.....

You MIGHT be able to get somewhat of a stereo separation by placing one mic much farther back from the cab creating a very slight delay from the time it take from the sound to travel to the first mic to the second and panning the "delayed" mic opposite the direct, but this really isn't going to much unless the 2nd mic is WAY farther back in some big open room or something because sound travels so fast. You could also add effects in the mix to create stereo width. Why can't you double track?

You didn't list what mics you were using. Many condensers cannot handle a lot of SPL, a good dynamic for the mic on the cab might work better if you have one. What makes you dead set on using condensers?

As for phase issues, if you're going to direct/room route, than make sure the room mic is at least 3x the distance from the sound source than the direct mic.

the 3:1 ratio doesn't apply when you're micing the same source-- that's for avoiding phase issues with multiple mics on mult. ins, ie overheads.

put the LDC up close, off axis, move it till you find a sweet spot.

listen in the room for where the amp sounds, good, put the SDC there. blend to taste. you won't get stereo unless you record stereo. or just double track.

wesley tanner said:
the 3:1 ratio doesn't apply when you're micing the same source-- that's for avoiding phase issues with multiple mics on mult. ins, ie overheads.

put the LDC up close, off axis, move it till you find a sweet spot.

listen in the room for where the amp sounds, good, put the SDC there. blend to taste. you won't get stereo unless you record stereo. or just double track.

As far as I know this isn't true. I don't see why this would be true only if there are 2 sources for the 2 mics. If you take a track, clone it(i.e. the same source) and add a "slight delay" by moving the track forward in time there are going to be phase problems. If I am wrong feel free to correct me.

anytime you're working with the same signal in more than one place, there will always be some degree of phase issues, unless it's exactly the same signal(ie copies) with EQ or the like... Phase is NOT polarity, it's not just on and off, there's many subtle degrees of phase that are even frequency dependant... your 440hz may be in phase, but not your 520...

this doesn't mean you can't copy and move around--it's actually a great trick to do (I usually print some different EQs on each one). That way you can take 1 super solid performance and make it into a bigger sound.

and it's not the laaaaaaaaaaw to use a dynamic. it's just better. It ain't against the law to be stupid, is it? but some people are. others are better.

I tried using an sm57 and I hated the sound. I prefer to use condensers because I have used them for years(just not on a cab) and I know how they work and sound.

SO, maybe an xy pattern panned hard left and right will work for that stereo separation.

The problem I am having is: when I track with 2 mics and pan hard, it sounds mono.

You still haven't said what is stopping you from double tracking? Lack of available tracks? You're not tight enough a player? I've worked with someone doing a "dirty guitar" track that wasn't tight, and it still sounded a better double tracked IMO.

Last edited:
wesley tanner said:
anytime you're working with the same signal in more than one place, there will always be some degree of phase issues

aren't you dealing with the same signal in more than 1 place by using 2 spaced mics to record a guitar?

BRIEFCASEMANX said:
You still haven't said what is stopping you from double tracking? Lack of available tracks? You're not tight enough a player? I've worked with someone doing a "dirty guitar" track that wasn't tight, and it still sounded a better double tracked IMO.

Because double tracking guits is like double tracking vox. IT sounds good but FAKE

CyanJaguar said:
Because double tracking guits is like double tracking vox. IT sounds good but FAKE

If it sounds good than what's the problem? It adds a stereo image to the guitars, exactly what you want to do. If adding a stereo image sounds "fake" than why do you want one? When double tracking vocals you don't hard pan them not to mention vocals cannot do chords, its not the same thing. If you don't want it to sound fake then you probably want it in mono since amps aren't stereo sources.

Back