I have a ... get ready for this ... 388, needs repair

crustacean

Here's the thing. I don't record on it anymore but I have about 50 tapes of my old band and various solo projects by all the band members I want to dump down to my computer through my layla and preserve as well as remaster some tracks within cakewalk.

This beast is so old (it's a 1/4" reel based unit, weighs a ton, and spins at a mere 7.25 ips for those unfamiliar) I'm afraid of talking to Mr. Tascam Certified Repair Tech. On one hand I don't want to pay $500 to fix this baby, on the other hand these tapes might well be worth far more than $500 to me. The reason I bought Layla was for the 8 ins so I could actually DO THIS!

I think the problem is the motor. The tape threads too tight now and lubing didn't help. I'm afraid to load another tape because I know I'm going to stretch it out.

Well, the old band guys volunteered actually to pay for the repair and in exchange I agreed to do the archiving, just throwing this open if anyone knows about this thing I'd love some insight. I don't even know if parts can be had anymore and I'm no do it yourselfer for something this complex.

We had the tape head replaced recently before it went out of use and aligned and all, my problem is mechanical in nature and probably due to its disservice since 1993.

(By the way, this thing IS about 15 years old.)

Hey Crust,
I have a similar problem with my 388. I don't use it anymore since going digital about 2 years ago. I have some reels of stuff that I did on that machine that I wanted to remaster and archive to CD. My rewind/fast forward motor is shot and the sound that comes out of this beast is nowhere what it used to be. Instead of having it repaired, here is what I plan to do: I am going to sell it "as is" and I should get a few hundred bucks for it on eBay (I know - shipping will be a nightmare) and then I am going to use that money to go into a studio with a 7 inch r-r 8trk machine (Yes, some studios still have 'em! It will be easy to find one in L.A., you could probably do the same in S.F.) and have the tapes remastered there. Anyway, that is my plan - don't know if you would consider doing the same, but right now it seems like my best option.

Hope this helps,

Brad

Thanks for the input Brad.

I have too many tapes to tackle in a studio, it would cost far too much money and literally take months to do it, so repair is about the only route. I think if I got the motor fixed the sound should be ok, but I'm also worried about the age of the tapes and they aren't getting younger not to mention the fact that I do not have suitable storage - they're away from magnets and speakers and in a closet but the temperature here varies greatly and there's frankly no better place in the house to keep them (basement is out, damp.)

None of these recordings are masterpieces by any means, but this is our collective musical history so the sentimental value of them is the kicker.

I wouldn't mind getting rid of the 388 besides that though, and if I get it fixed and the tapes archived I'll probably sell it as it takes up far too much studio space for a paperweight ;)

Good luck with your studio search for the transfer. You're right, it probably shouldn't be too hard but I still would wonder about compatability and the integrity of dbx decoding on a different machine.

Oops, I forgot that you are talking about *a lot* of tapes - that would cost too much dough, for sure. I don't have quite that many. And the reason for my poor sound quality is that the tape has lost it's integrity, damp storage being my problem exactly. I am thinking about just scrapping the idea and selling the 388. I get what you are saying about it being a musical history thing though. The nostalgia factor is high - with the 388 itself, too. I thought for a long time "I'll never get rid of this thing!" but, like you said, too big and space hogging just to act as a paperweight :)

Good luck with however you decide to solve this problem!

Brad

Fix the 388. You may not be mechanically inclined, and the 388 does seem intimidating, but what I think you have is a problem with the hub brakes not releasing. This is not a huge technical problem, or necessarily expensive to fix, but if the motor is indeed ceased up, then the motor is expensive.

First, you need the 388 manual, then you could remove some cosmetic parts, and then remove the plate that covers the reel area, and there you will see a solenoid actuated brake around each hub. This soleniod should engage and disengage fully, in order to either stop the hub or let the hub spin. Sometimes, I've seen this on my Tascam 38, that there's a rubber washer on this solenoid which has lost its' consistency, and has become black goo, thus preventing the hub brake solenoid from engaging and disengaging fully.

The brakes themselves may be a little tricky to adjust properly, (the manual covers that too), so don't take apart anything before you mark it's original position.

I have experience working on this type of issue on the Tascam 38, and have also worked on the 388. These issues may not be highly technical, but you have to have a minimum mechanical aptitude, and be willing to 'get into it'... under the covers.

The 388 is definitely worth fixing and keeping, and I have 2, (one of mine needs repair too). I think the 388 is the much overlooked classic collector's item. It's definitely alone in it's class. They still get decent dollar on Ebay, but they're a blast to have and use.

Yes, the 388 weighs a ton. That's a heavy, bad boy.

Back