i have a curiosity towards cutting lp's (in a literal sense)

cello_pudding

I'm interested in perhaps finding an old lathe, or creating my own lathe and perfecting my process.

for a crappy version of what I have had in mind watch this...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xfHWbQxZBro

He just outs audio from his computer to his speaker that has something to extend the vibrations it receives to a needle. The needle cuts the overhead sheet accordingly and then you can play it on a record player.

I'm considering something more sophisticated and regulated.

My ideas are as such -

use an old turn table that would regulate speed.
get an old iron that has a dimmer switch of sorts to regulate heat to the needle.
Using a lot of trial and error to get an EQ that I can slap on to a recording so that it translates to the record better than the youtuber. (I am assuming that the same set up will yield the same tonal alteration)

The thing is, I may want to make this into a profession, and would like to do vinyls in stereo. It seems these methods only allow for mono. I do also notice that a little metal poll with a sewing needle glued to a crappy speaker is probably not the best conversion of sound into grooves so I'm open to exploring my possibilities.

I have a friend of a friend that actually owns a lathe, and I'll be asking about it tomorrow, and I'm currently poking around at where to get it while looking around my room for what i can sell. I'm considering going into thousands of dollars into debt for this, and i don't even have a job right now, so...i'm kinda serious.

Any wisdom, concerns, and warnings are welcome.

Last edited:
oh yes.

all of the afformentioned I've researched and i've asked the seller a few questions.

it seems he's made no efforts in reviving it, and it's hard to know whether it would be worth it. I have some electronic/engineer/recording types that would maybe go in with me and figure it out, which would be a really great endeavor.

I also saw the website describing what would need to be made. I think i may start poking around at a design for a stereo cutter that i could rig up to be heated.

Back