I have £10,000 to set-up my studio.

Compression

Can anyone recommend the gear I would need to set-up my studio. I already have a Superlux dynamic microphone and a Samson C01 condenser, I also have a DBX 266XL Compressor, a Zoom 1201 and a Soundcraft Notepad mixer. But I think this will all need to be replaced. The studio will mainly record live bands, electric stuff and acoustic stuff. And will also be sound-proofed and ready to record in.

When you say the room will be "sound proofed and ready to record in", do you mean that it is being budgeted independently from your gear? You could easily spend that amount on room treatment.

I caution against trying to buy everything you think you need all at once.

Buy a quality piece of gear you will use forever. Learn to use it and that process will tell you what you need to buy next.

Otherwise you will wind up getting rid of stuff you never needed and replacing gear with gear that works for you.

Caveat Emptor.

Do you already have a computer? How many tracks at one time are you looking to record? If you're recording bands you will need headphone amp(s), headphones; monitors of course - some in the studio, some in the control room... the list goes on and on.

First, tell us about the room or rooms you plan to record in.
1 room? 2 rooms? More?
What is/are the dimensions?
Basement? First Floor? Second Floor? All or none of the above?

....and is this a studio for hobby recording or are you intending to rent it out and charge for your services? Different standards apply. For a home hobby studio, £10,000 is a good budget. For a commercial studio, not so much.

Back