I got to skimp somewhere. but where?

Frusciante_Fan

Hi im in the process of putting all of my tax return into a recording setup. I have all the products I want layed out , but im short a little. In order to get everything I want I am going to have to skimp somewhere in the chain. but I dont know where I should do it at.

I heard its all about your front end. So I am buying a AT 4050 mic, and a Universal Audio tube pre amp. I was going to skimp at the pre , but all of those Bullsh*t pre amps under 600 dollars a channel just dont have enough headroom for my vocals. I went down to guitar center and tested 20 models all day long and found this out.

For converters I was going to get the new lynx card because they have the best AKM converters out. But I could easily save 800 dollars , and go with the M audio, or ECHO range. the question is? Would it make a big enough differance to spend that much more money? or would my ears even hear the differance?

And last Monitors? I wanted to get the Event 20/20 bas , but I could save about 400 bucks , if I went down to the 200 - 400 dollars range? Then agian I am stuck with the question agian?

Does anyone have any suggestions on where I should skimp in the chain ?? Which part of the chain would make the least differance, price versus performance wise?

That's a tough question. A good recording system is only going to be a good as it's weakest link. You didn't say how much $$$$ you have to spend but it sounds like a lot.

There are other guys arround here who can advise you better on particulars, but all I will say is look for an area where a cheaper componant now will still be useful later. I see newbie kids all the time asking about mixers and they will get answers like "any mixer under $3K is crap". Which is a stupid answer to a kid who has $500. In that case I say buy the cheap mixer now, you will find a use for it later when you have the case for a better one.

Using the same logic, I would say that if you HAVE to skimp, do it on the mic, because eventually you will want multiple mics anyways. DON"T skimp on the monitors, because you won't find much use for weak monitors (unless you can sell them). Leave the tube preamp for later unless you can get a good deal on it, and buy a cheap mixer with phantom power. You can use it later as a monitor or keyboard mixer (or sell it).

There are no good answers here, because like I said you want good stuff everywhere, but that is the logic I would try to follow.

Back