I got the deal of the century on Sleazebay! (for a vintage 63' shure 545)

Scriabin

Hello All,
I didnt come here to gloat, just thought some of you might get a kick out of this. For sometime Ive been interested in picking up an old Shure 545 for my vocals. The sm57 has always been my go to mic for rock vox above the u195 among others. In any case, I bid last week and won a shure 545 for a small sum of 37 dollars plus shipping.
Now thats not the real kicker, today the mic arrived and boy was I ever surprised. Inside of a large red alligator skin case there sat the 545 looking like it was just made yesterday. Inside I found a purchasers card dated january 15th, 1965 and the name of the seller underneath a plastic protective cover. It hadnt yellowed much with age. In a side pocket I found a brochure for the use of a dynamic microphone, an original red velvet carrying case, a mic stand and other goodies...all in AMAZING condition.
Now to the mic itself, wow, what can i say? It looks brand new. No rust on the mic or discoloration on the grill. I dont believe its ever been used. Its been retrofitted with an xlr also. No dings, nicks, anything, anywhere!
Needless to say it looks like a giant time capsule straight out of 1963 when it was manufactured. I cant wait to try it out with my mp-2nv later today.
Heres a link to pictures if anyone is interested. I guess good things can happen on sleaze bay every once in a while:)
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=3738478168&ssPageName=STRK:MEWN:IT

Cheers,
Scriabin

(Oh and if anyone would like to collaborate on my upcoming demo, I need a drummer. Check my post in the percussion forum and visit my site on www.nowhereradio.com/theinks discography, works in progress to hear the songs that needs drums)

Cool. Is that a 57 predecessor? Is it different/better?

Also I love this quote from the auction:

I am a female pirate who runs a tight ship at home during the week taking care of me captains house and tendin to our 3 little mateys

Arrrr . . . only 44 days until International Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Scriabin,
I dont mean to rain on your parade, but I got 2 off those mics... for free!

The local court house was remodeling and they threw them away! In perfect condition. (well one of the off switches did not work well).

Anyway I am a drummer and would consider colaborating on your stuff. I went to your site and listened... very nice.

Anyway if you want to work together, I'll even use my free mics on the drums for you!(he he)

If you want to catch some of the stuff I have done go to :
http://www.nowhereradio.com/artists/album.php?aid=1955&alid=-1

tom
tom@tmixstudio.com

lol, yeah the pirate quotes were kinda iffy. But hey, I'm happy...even if the woman is a couple bars short of a measure. The 545 was the predecessor to the 57 which came out about 65 or so. Its got a slightly different sound attributed to a different midrange peak and I prefer it to the 57 for vocals.
Hey t-mix nice steal;) Yeah, if you'd be interested in recording the drums tracks for me, I'd love to listen. I'm going for more of a retro sound. Shoot, Tennessee Maybellene has a real drum track recorded in mono with one U-195 over the top the kit. It came out pretty well.
I cant offer much in the way of pay because most of my budget is going towards mastering and duplication. The best I could probably do is giving you credits in the cd and sending you a couple cds.
Feel free to pm me and Ill send you whatever you need to track it:)

Thanks Scriabin

Congrats on the wonderful deal.

If one is patient, eBay turns up some real deals now and then. Mine was an Audio-Technica AT4047/SV for $200. It arrived yesterday in mint condition, with everything except the original warranty card.

Take good care of your vintage piece. In that condition, it is a rare find.

My 546 (same series) and the (somewhat smoother) 548 "do it" for my voice on a par with $500 to $10,000+ condensers. Congrats!

Chris

Anyone have any idea of when the 545 was discontinued?

I found one in the box recently, NOS, and was curious if they were still making them.
This one is mint and never been out of the cellophane...

I believe they continued production for some time after the 57 came into being in 1965. Perhaps, when they made they're big move to Mexico. Good find on the 545. Ive found it to be a really good mic for the money. If you dont want yours let me know... I'm going to start hoarding them:)

Back