I got it! I got it! ....Now what?

Bassman

Ok gurus.. I could really use some advice on this one...

I bought a Delta 66 today, installed fine, works great figured out the patch bay and all that jazz. Now for the dilema... My SBlive... It still functions, the only trouble is when I play Midi tracks in CWPA9 the play out of the SBcard..(Obviously) My dilema is routing it out to the Delta, Because i am monitoring through it, and not the SB. I tried connecting the SPDIFs (SB out to Delta in).. And it sounds wonderful. BUUUUT I have to set the delta to 48khz... which leads me to believe once I am there I am stuck. meaning, if the drum track is recorded at 48 K so do the others.. And as far as sample rate goes.. is 48K Ok? what will I have to do with the mix down of the entire song once it is done?? If not 48 then I guess 44.1. I have a P2400 256M ram, don't think I am ready for 96K.... Any suggestions?

Stuck at 48k? Yes. That's the default for the SB. Is 48k OK? Yeah, it's plenty good for most people. You will chew up less disk space per track that's for sure. Yes you will have to change to 44.1/16bit/stereo to burn a CD so that would be the 'last' step. Mix it all at your sample rate, do everything until your ready to burn. Suggestions? Have fun man :)

48 is fine for everything...I record everything at 48....i cant hear the difference(but im sure some can) but any chance I get to record at a higher bitrate or sampling rate, i do, because the end result will sound that much better....althogh i still havent taken advantage of 96 sampling rate because of the storage issues...for midi, i use a cheap (xg) softsynth, but theres a litttle latency and i always have to pull the tracks back a little...but i rarely use midi...

Your recording software or mastering software will have that capability. Or if you software burns CD's from within itself it will do convert automatically. Usually, for me, it happens when I say mixdown to a wav file or an MP3 from my software.

Correct, i use N-track, and when u mixdown on the software, it automatically converts to 16 bit/44.1khz....

I Use cakewalk, but it seems you can only convert to 16 bit for the whole project.... I would just want to convert the mix... I figured what I will do is mix down 24/44.1 Import it into a new project, DIther it with Waves IDR and then let cakewalk convert it... how does that sound?

You can't burn CD's from Cakewalk anyway - so why bother using it to convert the project?

Suggest you export the mix as a .wav from CW and then bring the file into some CD burning software such as Wavelab 3.0. Wavelab will convert to 16/44.1 on the fly when you burn the CD (and give you a lot of mastering tools as well).

I hear you.... except that I don't own a copy of wavelab 3.0... And right now don't really want to spend any more cash.. How much is it anyway?

My two cents: I record everything in Cakwalk Pro 9 at 24 bit, 44.1. Once finished I export to a .WAV at 16/44.1 and then go straight to a CD. Sounds fine to me but I'm certainly no genius - can anyone tell me why this is a poor way to do things?

Still a couple of days left to get Sound Forge 5.0 for $99... do a search on "$99" in the Sonic Foundry forum for the right link to get to the special price...

Yeah AlChuck, but that didn't answers his question ......or did it? Dunno anymore.....

I don't think that's a poor way to do it at all. That last step should always be the downsampling to CD or MP3 format.

Rwhite,

How do you mix it down to 16/44.1? the only conversion I saw was for the whole project. Am I missing an option somewhere when mixing down?

No, I do the whole project. It is one of the (if not THE) last things that I do. But note that you don't have to SAVE it after you do this - you can convert to 16 bit, export a stereo wave file, then close the file without saving. And the next time you open your project it will still be in 24 bit.

Unless I've been horribly mistaken all this time....

Ill tell ya, I dont know for sure, but when you select it, it does say it will clear out the undo history... I would imagine it is destructivly editing all of the wave files in the project. I think I will stick to my method, I just did a song tonight and it didnt really take much longer. Besides, when re-importing it and converting it, it gave me a good opportunity to run it through a compressor for some light tweaking...

Ok now wait a minute. I need clarification here.

Can one of you please, please give me a blow by blow of what is trying to be done here. I think i've lost my perspective on the question...........grrr

Now, what is it we are trying to do?
What are we using to do it?
What is it we want after it's done.

anyone want a breath mint?...phew....

Bassman - What program are you using to burn your CD's? Does it have dithering capabilities? Many do, particularly if they are also wave editors.

I personally like Wavelab (because I started with it and am familiar), but Sound Forge also has gotten good reviews, and as AlChuck suggests, for $99.00 not a bad deal. Be careful, though, some will not work with 24 bit files.

Lastly, though, what you suggest will work. Export a mix as a .wav at 24/44.1. Open a new Cake project and insert the .wav into track 1 (Insert -> Wave File). Convert the new project to 16 bit (Tools -> Change Audio Format -> 16 bit) and re-export. This will give you a 16-bit file of the mix, while preserving your original file at 24 bits. And you don't even need to save the new project file.

Back