i got a TLM 103. what use do i have from my old Rode NTR?

Jean Cremers

I record only my own music at home, no bands or such, just amateur hobby, but i do have various instruments, acoustic guitars, cello, flute, violin, mandoline, conga.
So recently i bought a TLM 103 and i wonder what need i have for my old NTR, is there any situation where the rode will be better, or can contribute something?
Else i can just sell it and be done with it.
Thanks.

You could use the two mics together to get a stereo recording of those instruments. For example, on acoustic guitar, point one mic behind the bridge and the other mic at the 12th fret. Pan the two tracks wide.

You could also look up MS recording, since the NTR has a figure 8 polar pattern.

If your space has a good sound, you can have one close and one far mic adding ambience.

Also, it is pretty easy to try both mics out in any situation and chose the one that best suits that recording.

I assume the NTR is darker sounding than the 103, that might come in handy on the mandolin but might be too dark on the cello. I would keep both mics and choose the one that works best for the situation.

Never sell a perfectly good mic. I like the 103, but it doesn't do everything justice - but gradually, you will know that the sound you want to capture will respond better to a ribbon, and of course, a fig-8 is very different to the cardioid - so you have two decent tools. Pick the right one for each job!

Thanks both. I have been thinking about using it for a better stereo recording, i guess i just have to try it out. But essentially i'm quite lazy, if one mic does the job, why the hassle, but i'm gonna try it out and listen one of these days. I have the rode for sale but it's turns out it's not very popular so instead of selling it cheap i think i'm gonna keep it indeed.
Thanks for the advice.

Well - you are NOT going to be able to use these two mics for stereo unless you record in M/S, of course, but most people don't record stereo - just two channels, as mentioned above - body and neck for a guitar is a common one - your particular pair might produce some strange results when you mix two different polar patterns.

Back