I finally got the dough

kdgospel

Well I'm ready to purchase a mixer and condenser mic. I'm pretty set on the mixer (Behringer UB series), but don't know about the mic. So I need some input. Both items are gonna come from Musician's Friend due to the fact that I have an account there so that makes the Studio Projects B1 out of the question since they don't carry it. I'm looking for a condenser that is not much more than $100 (less would be better). If a whole lot of people tell me that I can't get anything better than the B1 I might buy one somewhere else. So let's hear it. What do you think? Most of you have heard my voice.

And Blue Bear if you find this post, I know you will probably say that I won't get anything but junk for $100 or less, but remember I'm not a pro like you and don't have money like you apparently do from looking at your equipment list.

I have two SP-B1's... but

if you have to shop at Musician's Friend, some people think very highly of the MXL-V67G @ $99.00...

Re: I have two SP-B1's... but

billisa said:
if you have to shop at Musician's Friend, some people think very highly of the MXL-V67G @ $99.00...

I also have a B1, but if I had to get one at MF I would probably get a V67G...

Happy shopping....

Yeah, I don't think MF offers the v67 anymore :(

Why do you have to shop at MF though? I know you said you "have an account," but that just means you've ordered from them before, right? It's easy to order elsewhere even if you don't officially "have an account." www.8thstreet.com has the v67g for $99 (http://www.8thstreet.com/product.asp?ProductCode=6458&Category=Microphones). They also carry lots of different Behringer UB-series mixers, and they have the Studio Projects B1 for $79. There's also music123.com, which carries the B1 and the Behringer mixers. I've ordered from music123 as well as MF, and I think their service is comperable. Plus the free shipping threshold at music123 is $229, whereas it's $299 at MF. So if you were to buy a v67g at $99, plus a Behringer mixer at I would assume around $99 or more, all you need to do is add a mic stand, or a Kiwi cable, or something else you'll need and you get free shipping! By the way, what UB-series mixer are you getting?

Anyway, I'm sure you've heard the whole v67 vs B1 argument around here, so I won't spend much time rehashing it. I also haven't heard your voice, so I'm not sure which would be best for you. But basically, the consensus seems to be that the B1 is a more versatile mic, good for micing amps, vocals, acoustic guitar, etc. And it's generally said that the v67 can be much better on vocals for SOME voices, and I think it's damn good on acoustic too, although some don't agree. Honestly though, you probably can't go wrong either way.

shouldn't this thread be in the "Christian person looking for gear" forum??:D :D

sorry, sorry...bad joke...

Alot of people have talked about the MXL990 that is in that price range. But, I think they say it is suited best for rock style vocals.

I agree about the comment about the "account thing".. Hopefully that doesn't restrict you from shopping around and finding what you want and the best deal.

good luck

SP-B1 and 8th street

I wouldn't hesitate at all ordering from "8th street". I got my SP-B1's there, and they're great people. Also, I would add that the SPB1 is a very quiet mike. The self-noise is around 12db, and if you ever need to put down vocals without music you may want to consider it.

Well after hearing that 8thstreet has the free shipping also. I might just have to try them. Another reason I go with MF is due to the fact that they have a warehouse in Knoxville, Tn. and I live in Ga. I order and 2 days later it is on my doorstep. I will check out 8thstreet. I trust you guys judgement.

mixmkr said:
shouldn't this thread be in the "Christian person looking for gear" forum??:D :D

sorry, sorry...bad joke...

You're right, bad joke. But, I'm not gonna take it that way. Don't want to get another one of those threads started. Besides I'm glad you know I'm a Christian.

kdgospel said:
And Blue Bear if you find this post, I know you will probably say that I won't get anything but junk for $100 or less
...all I can say is to echo sonusman's fave quote: "Buy cheap, buy twice...!"

Consider an AT4033...

Re: Re: I finally got the dough

Blue Bear Sound said:
...all I can say is to echo sonusman's fave quote: "Buy cheap, buy twice...!"

The only things that can counter that awesome piece of advice are:
1) If I don't buy cheap, I'm using a radioshack speaker connected to a 1/4" jack as my microphone! (okay, this is an extreme case)

2) Yes, I will be buying twice, BUT todays dollars are worth more than tommorrows dollars (Due to inflation). Also, prices drop as lines go out of production. As such, it might be possible to buy twice, but to not spend a penny more! (although the chances of this are slim to nil)

Thanks a lot Blue Bear. I'll have to get something cheaper for now. I've got to buy school clothes and supplies for my son. But, you're right I'll probably be buying twice, maybe next year.

I checked out 8thstreet and will probably be buying everything from them. I've got to buy a stage monitor for our group along with the mixer and mic and will definitely get the free shipping.
By the looks of 8thstreet I might be shopping with them from now on. They definitely have a better site than musician's friend. Now all I have to do is decide between the V67G and the B1. It says the V67 is designed specifically for vocals so that might be what I go with.

Hey mekkab, what's your location? I'm about an hour due west of DC near I66.

bd

PS....sorry for hijacking the thread!

bdbdbuck said:
Hey mekkab, what's your location? I'm about an hour due west of DC near I66.

bd

PS....sorry for hijacking the thread!
Gaithersburg, MD (aka Ghettoburg)- 8,10? miles north of DC? (10 minutes from the end of the Red Line Metro)

Which makes you, about an hour away (who knows, maybe less!)

mekkab said:
Gaithersburg, MD (aka Ghettoburg)- 8,10? miles north of DC? (10 minutes from the end of the Red Line Metro)

Which makes you, about an hour away (who knows, maybe less!)

Yeah, I try to stay outta Maryland as much as possible! LOL! My son (okobd) works in Gatorsburg... Ghettoburg.. whatever, he's always lookin for someone to jam with. He actually lives in Waynesboro, PA but he stays down there during the week. He's been doing some open mics with his sister lately, and hangin out in some of those bars up that way... I dunno. I don't get enough time to travel that far during the week...4:00am comes awfully early around here.

bd

Back