I don't remember putting so much reverb on that!

hitman

WHOA! I just listened back to a take we tracked a couple of days ago. I remember throwing up a couple of busses for vocals and snare reverb. Does anybody know what the illusion is at the time of pre-mixxing that causes your mixes to sound over reverberated after a good night's rest...or did I just answer my own question? HITMAN.

Yo man of hits: [music hits?]

Reverb is so nice in the HEADSET; everything is nice in the headset; however, don't mix down to what you hear in the headset; [unless you are one of the greats with ears of Dr. Spock from Star Trek].

Mix down from what you can arrange on your monitors; good monitors are up to your wallet and ears; mostly ears; but a good wallet will help.

Record your stuff in a session; mix it down in another day with bright sunshine and a Coors in your hand.

Green Hornet

Hey Green Hornet. I definitely agree about the mix in monitors vs. mix in headphones issue, even though my amp and wire are less than immaculate.
Maybe this belongs in a separate thread; maybe not.
What do ya do when you can't use a monitor system to mix and even headphones are semi-worthless due to bleed thru the phones from the live sound. I'm talking about mixing a performance not at a studio but at some random live venue. It became an issue for me when I recorded the same band twice with and without the crowd at the same hall.
How do ya know what you're mixing?
When the crowd was there, I was doing a two mic recording so there was no mixing involved.

mixing with headphones?

I find that mixing with headphones is a sucker's bet. headphones tend to sound really bright when you turn them up indicating a non-linear response(what does that mean?) could it be our headphone amplifier? We use a Rolls. But i see no reason to do away with the monitor to mix. Upon reflection I might recall adding the reverb while tracking (maybe because the singer requested it..maybe because I did in my mind), and I usually track with Phones on sisnce we track everything live in the control room with us (Phill Collin's style) HITMAN.
P.S. HEY GREEN HORNET, you "HIT" my name on the head. My alias refers to music hits, I don't support GUNS. I support Grooves,Girls,Gear and Ganja.

Yo Dr.Stawl:

I'm going to give this a wild shot since I don't go out and record bands, etc.

But, as I recall watching the symphony play on the tube, I noticed how many mics were in use; I am assuming that the mics DO NOT ALL GO TO ONE TRACK; thus, if you are doing a live group, would you not have to have some mics for the major talents, horns, drums, vocals, bass; then, WHEN YOU ARE BACK AT YOUR STUDIO OR A STUDIO, you would play back the tracks and make your mixing adjustments and, of course, add the FX you wanted.

All of this would, of course, require some type of recording box with at least 8 tracks, if not more.

I'm sure Ed could give you a better answer than I can but using my ratiocinative powers, I can't figure out any other way for recording outside of the studio where, most of the time, you would not be listening to monitors but you would be tuning in the session via a headset and some very GOOD DIALS OF INPUT from your many mics. [this might mean you would also need a mixing board on hand during the session to control the levels?]

Well, I took a shot at it and I hope it helps. Someone ought to invent a headset that gives you what your hear when you mix it to tape.

Time for the afternoon martini,

Enjoy,
Green Hornet

PS: Yo MAN OF HIT SONGS:

I agree with all of your choices of enjoyment.

Suggestion: You can use FX for the singer to hear/or whatever during recording; but, most boxes do not record the fx unless you push the buttons. So, why not just add FX where you want it when you are mixing down? Then, you won't wake up and wonder, "How the hell did I do that? anymore"

Green Hornet

[Edited by The Green Hornet on 10-28-2000 at 13:55]

Back