I don't like the sound of my Fender American Telecaster!!!!!!!

Colwarter

Hey I got a fender american telecaster on ebay and the look is really cool, but I really don't like the sound. There's like TOO much treble, and my marshall jcm 2000 tsl 100 doesn't sound great with it. I know my guitar is due to a check but I did one like 2 or 3 months ago and when I did it, it did not sound much more heavier. What could I do to make sound my telecaster more like modern pop-punk (new found glory, sum 41) and less blues ? (I have a gibson sg faded that sounds great, but i really like the neck of a telecaster) Shoud I change the pickups ? Change the size of the strings? I don't know... If someone is actually owning a telecaster and knows what i'm talking about, please help me !! or anyone i'll be really happy to be helped! There's my friend also who wants to get the Fender Telecaster american highway 1, and i'm not sure he wants a blues sound!

Colwarter said:
Hey I got a fender american telecaster on ebay and the look is really cool, but I really don't like the sound. There's like TOO much treble, and my marshall jcm 2000 tsl 100 doesn't sound great with it. I know my guitar is due to a check but I did one like 2 or 3 months ago and when I did it, it did not sound much more heavier. What could I do to make sound my telecaster more like modern pop-punk (new found glory, sum 41) and less blues ? (I have a gibson sg faded that sounds great, but i really like the neck of a telecaster) Shoud I change the pickups ? Change the size of the strings? I don't know... If someone is actually owning a telecaster and knows what i'm talking about, please help me !! or anyone i'll be really happy to be helped! There's my friend also who wants to get the Fender Telecaster american highway 1, and i'm not sure he wants a blues sound!

I am not really reading good or something because I had one hell of time making it through that whole thing.

If its too trebley then roll of the tone knob a bit or use less treble on the amp.

Or maybe your taste changed...that happens to guitar players all the time...and its one of the main causes of G.A.S.

No I didn't play another tele before! that's why i'm wondering if all the teles are sounding like that. thanks for your answer

I own a telecaster. I like the way it sounds.

Did you try out a telecaster before you bought one? They're kinda famous for their "twang".

If you dont like it, I would recommend (and others may disagree...) that you sell it and go find a guitar that you like that sounds great through a marshall head.

Only you know what sounds good to you - and the only way you are gonna find that sound is by going down to the music shops(s) and playing every guitar there. Buy the one with the sound and feel you're looking for.

Otherwise you're gonna end up doing a chop job on a guitar that probably sounds exactly how it's supposed to sound - IMHO.

hope this helps.

Todd

Colwarter said:
No I didn't play another tele before! that's why i'm wondering if all the teles are sounding like that. thanks for your answer

lol....I am exhausted.....see my edited post. :D

Colwarter said:

If it was used, you might want to check to make sure someone did not modify the tone pots by eliminating the capacitor. Some people bypass the tone pot to get more highs. Another nice add on for a tele is a pedal compressor to smooth out the highs.

If this is truly an American tele you should also make sure someone did not put in MIM electronics which might reveal more treble.

Last, go to Seymour Duncan.com and order his vintage pickups for a tele. They are more rounded sounding than modern day tele pickups. Actually he has tones on his site you can check to see what type of sound you would like to add before you buy the pickups.

Never buy a guitar without auditioning it first, preferably on your amp or one very like it.

Here endeth the lesson.

It sounds like you should have bought a tele deluxe, which is the same guitar with a pair of humbuckers. Well, after you switch out the pickups in that tele for a pair of hot rails or whatever, just send those pickups straight to me, and I'll drop them right into my Highway 1 tele. Thanks in advance. I'll write a song for you- "The Single Coil Pickup Blues"-Richie

u chose the wrong guitar man .... american telecaster + marshall stack = rock n' roll...not modern pop punk.

thats the sound of it...to butcher a guitar like that is kind of defeating the purpose of buying one in the first place :/

if u dont wanna change the pups i recomend an eq pedal, or maybe a high gain pedal...u can always check what those guys u like are using (amps and stomps) and go from there.

if u want gain u should've gone with humbuckers..

i noticed a trend when i was into punk music a few years ago that some guys were starting to use tele's. The one that stands out in my mind is tom from MxPx. BUT, they were working with the custom shop. As said above, teles are known for the country "TWANG" and not there crunch, mostly due to the lack of a humbucking pickup in the bridge position. Most likely you will find the neck pickup much warmer, but it will not be desirable for your music either.

Your options:
Get a strat with a humbucker in the bridge, or at least a REALLY hot single coil.
get a gibson or epi LP. Ususally those sound good with marshalls for getting that good distorted crunch.

Also, just from my memory, i dont remember a lot of guys using marshall JCM's for there distorted tone. I know i remember ppl using the JCM900 for clean tone, and most punk players used Mesa dual rec's, or some of the new hughes & kettner stuff.

Might just be best to take a day and go to a guitar center and play with different combos till you find YOUR tone. Cus eventhough u say u want newer pop punk, you didnt cite any specific bands, so you know what you want better than us.

Gl with finding your sound.

Matt

I used to have a Fender Tele Custom Shop that I paid 1500 for and I hated the sound.. UNTIL. I found the perfect matching tube amp.. Then that sumbeach came to life....

Colwarter said:

You bought a Tele but you don't like treble? Have you ever heard a Tele before? It is one of the most trebley, twangy guitars ever made.

There are plenty of us who would love that guitar just as it is; sell it and get one that has the sound you want. DON'T chop it up trying to make it something it's not; you'll most likely end up with something you still don't like but will then be worth nothing.

Cut your losses and move on.

Hey guys, first of all I would like to thank everyone who answered to this post! That's very cool...
So! I bought a telecaster because i very like the look, i think it's the most beautiful guitar ever made, that's why i bought one without even hear it. I am ready to make some changes on this guitar like changing the pickups and everything otherwise than changing my amp, cause my amp sounds fantastic with my gibson and I would change it for nothing! So i'll go on the seymore ducan website to change the pickups and also see on the fender website (custom section).

neck

I was just wondering if you have a maple neck or a rosewood neck, that could make a huge difference along with the pickups. My cousin has a tele that he uses for punk/metal and he loves the sound he gets from his rosewood neck.

Colwarter said:
Hey guys, first of all I would like to thank everyone who answered to this post! That's very cool...
So! I bought a telecaster because i very like the look, i think it's the most beautiful guitar ever made, that's why i bought one without even hear it. I am ready to make some changes on this guitar like changing the pickups and everything otherwise than changing my amp, cause my amp sounds fantastic with my gibson and I would change it for nothing! So i'll go on the seymore ducan website to change the pickups and also see on the fender website (custom section).

Get HotRails (or some other brands version). They are single coil sized Humbuckers. I never used them but if you like beefy sounds then you need humbuckers.

Back