I dont know where to post this?

legba235

Hello,
We have a video recorded of our band playing live in a bar and the owner wants a copy of it. Strangly the sound quality from the on board camera is pretty good. But still being a perfectionist, and never satisfied with anything I record or write (drives band members crazy). I'd like to tweak the audio on it and add some lite effects to the mix. I have a piss poor video card and use cool edit pro and sound forge 5. Is it possible to extract the audio, mix it, then record it back on to another tape synchronized w/ the video? I know nothing about time coding. One more side question, is there any multiple track recording programs that utilize dual processors (SMP) w/ a via chipset? I'm upgrading to an abit vp6 next month and was just wondering. If I posted this in the wrong place let me know where I should go.

Thanks for your time,
Kevin

There's lot of software available that can do basic audio/video editing of video tapes. I'm not familiar with most of it, but you will most likely need to get an interface to the camcorder that can also output back to tape. Maybe someone that has one of those all-inclusive interfaces can post more info on that. It should be possible to do what you ask without spending much money or taking a large amount of time once you get it setup. I pulled some stuff from an old camcorder, edited it, added titles, and even a new soundtrack in parts and sent it out to a VCR using my Voodoo3 3500 card about two years ago... so if I can do it, then anyone can. I know nothing about time coding either. I used software called MGI video suite or something like that. I've seen lots of those I/O devices for sale that work indepentdently of your video card, but don't know enough to recommend any of them.

As for your side question, Sonic Foundry Vegas works with multiple processors, and I don't think it is chip set dependant. There could be others as well. Also, Abit motherboards are great I think. I have two now and I'm buying a third today.

It can be done

The beautiful thing about Video and digital sound is that they are both locked to a reference (word clock or similar) so drift over time is not as drastic as say on an analogue recorder like a 8 track or portastudio etc.

I'd dub the audio into you puter and make the changes you want. Then comes syncing it up with the video.
Perhaps you could dub the video to a Hifi Vcr which ususally have a sound on sound fuction.
It may take a few times but once you get it right it will then stay in sync throughout the whole show.

cheers
John

Thanks for the relpies,
What I'm going try to do is this:
1) Dump the audio on to my puter via RCA from audio out to my soundcard.
2)Mix audio
3) Hook-up 2 vcrs video RCA's only
4) Run an RCA from sound card to recording VCR's audio in
5) Try to sync.

Anyone see any problems w/ this. I didn't realize video tape was consistant time wise.

Thanks again,
Kevin

are you serious?

you realise your end product is going to look horrible!what resolution does your card go in at? go out at? TVs are 640x480, and i guarantee you that your video card, since you seem to think its piss poor, is going to be MAYBE half of that. i dont know if you ever tried to make a little video using 2 VCRs, but the loss of image quality is going to be horrendous. also sound, a VHS taking an already twice A/D and D/A sound track is going to sound like a 50s martian movie.

On a second note. You are going to add FX to the stereo file? i think you will find this quite futile as well. Its basically imposible to put anything on a final mix besides compression that wont make it sound like mud.

Of course if you had DV camera going Firewire into a computer, then that would be different.

Worked Good

I didn't run the video through my card. I ran the video from the playing VCR straight to the recording VCR. I ran the sound RCA from my puter to the recording VCR's audio in. I took out some of the back ground noise, EQed and normalized the mix (I did try to add some lite verb but it sounded like a space craft landing behind the camera 'thanks kristian'). I did run into some sync problems near the end but only slightly. It sounds a hell of alot better then the original.

Thanks Everyone

Back