I don't feel like much of a musician using acid

epnotrem

Well, yes acid can be a neat program, but it's just too damn easy for me. Anyone can just scroll around a mouse, and push buttons. Now, when ever i hear a loop on t.v. or the radio, I'm thinking "yeah, they probably just used acid (No!!! not that acid) to make it." Does it really matter how people decide to write, or what truly simplistic software they use?, or should i not pay as much attention to these things?. I do know that most of u out there, including myself, work very hard to create original material.
CAN I GET SOME FEEDBACK ON THIS MINOR ISSUE?
Thank's- mike in nj....

I think there can be as much art in choosing the right loops and arranging them as their can be in any other musical endeavor. Sure, maybe the tool is easy to use, but developing a sense of musicality takes as much work and talent as it ever did. And you can always record your own playing along with the other arrangements...

If you think it is real easy, you should hear some of my Acid songs....whew!!!!, you would think the cat just died!!!
I'm primarily an accoustic piano player who writes songs for piano and occasionally some electronic fantasy/song/blip of strangeness. I NEVER thought I would use loops. They are fun and I do enjoy them, but they are really another tool like an effects box or patch librarian.
You'll KNOW when someone with no talent makes an ACID song.

I use Acid to make ALL of my tunes, except for one all acoustic tune I recorded. For me, I mainly use it for the backbone - drums, maybe some other sounds. I record bass and guitar parts and vocals, and use Acid for those things I can't record.

I spend a lot of time at AcidPlanet, and yes, like rjt said, you can tell when someone without talent makes a song in Acid.

I have some friends, the Digital Critters, who make some really great stuff, and they use all loops. They chop things up and stuff, but they don't play instruments.

It's a tool. It is a tool I love to use, and I couldn't imagine recording without it, as I don't use midi or drum machines. Still, ymmv.

I agree with Mr. Budokan about this. I have used ACID Music to great effect in generating percussion and drum tracks to export into Cakewalk for use in recording "real" instruments and vocals over the tracks. The ease of use in building very complex percussion tracks is a Godsend to a non-drummer like myself, and huge fun besides. I've gotten to where I don't usually use the complete drum kit loops anymore, except as a template. I usually go back and use individual kick, snare, hi-hat, cymbals and toms, and then export them individually into Cakewalk, so I have much better control over the final sound. It uses more tracks in Cakewalk, but that's not a big deal. Besides, then you start feeling more like a real mixer. <g>

I have built some fun drum 'n bass things using ACID exclusively, though, and I can't deny that it's big fun. For THAT kind of music, ACID works just as well as any other music production technology, and as all of you have written, you can still tell when a musical talent has produced the music. As easy as ACID is to use, bad musicians will still generate bad (or at least dreadfully uninteresting) music.

Still, go pick up that guitar and play some notes. That's still where "Real" music is.

Peace.

Back