I don't believe it... Audio interface

va5ja

Hi there!

I'm looking for my ideal external sound card for a while now but there isn't any ideal sound card at all. One has prons and the other has a few cons. When I thought this was it it supported just 16bit/44mHz recordings. So what I want is an external (USB, firewire) card with just:

- 24bit/96mHz support
- stereo recording
- pre-amp XLR input (phantom power)
- maybe a 1/4" input too
- RCA inputs
- RCA outputs
- 1/4" outputs
- maybe simultanious recording (just 2 tracks)
- support for 96mHz recording and playback

MI4 from Steinberg would be great for me but there are a lot of unhappy users. So maybe the same thing from other brands or if it worked better. Is it really so hard to find an audio interface on a low-budget. Sure, it isn't hard to find one with plenty of money but that's not my case. So what would you suggest me? :confused:

There's no such thing as 96mhz recording, it should be khz. What your asking is basicly an all-in-one box, because you want a preamp AND analogue to digital converters and the other way around aswell. That's gonna leave alot of soundcard out of the question, since they are designed to work with a preamp, which you buy seperately. What's your also asking for are 3 kinds of inputs on 1 card (XLR, 1/4" jack, RCA). Your not gonna find that, you'll have to use cables with different plugs on each end. That works well enough though.

Basicly, any "new" recording soundcard supports 24/96 recording, even though 96khz is highly overrated, you won't hear that extra little bit at all unless your entire chain is up to it (read: very good monitors etc.)

Your probably gonna find something like the afformentioned Lexicon Omega the most usefull, but it won't get much cheaper than that. The Tascam US-122 is popular, because it has it all, and it's cheap. The presonus Firebox or Inspire might be good for you aswell.

Back