I could use a little help from you kind guitar gurus

Jagular

OK…I have read (I think) every relevant thread in this forum related to my question. I’ve picked up some nuggets, but I want to go a little deeper. Here’s the deal. Do to some circumstances that have arisen (which I won’t go into here) I would like to get a new acoustic guitar. I currently play an Ovation Celebrity ;) and it isn’t bad for a beating around ax, but I want a real instrument now :D (just kidding – it served its purpose but I’ve outgrown it but I know from my old trumpet days, you get what you pay for in an ax). And my wife has agreed to this which is the best part of the deal.

My initial thoughts were to try out some of the cheaper Martins (I’ve always wanted to own a Martin) and Taylors (geeezzz louise…they’re expensive). However, if I could find some other brand that I can get more bang for the buck…I’m all for it.

There isn’t a load of money available for this, but she has agreed to go up to a pretty fair amount. Since I have only owned 2 acoustics in my life ( believe it or not, the Celeb was a big step up from the first one LOL) I am soooo not familiar with what’s out there. So here’s what I am looking for.

1. Estimated budget $1,000 or less would be good too (although the budget may be able to stretch a little if I whine enough :D)

2. I would like a work horse – good sound for gigging (mostly solo writers nights) or recording

3. I would like an acoustic electric or a good (easy) alternative

4. I have smallish hands and short fingers (no wise cracks – it’s not true :D)

5. I would entertain the thought of a good used ax

6. Style of playing is mostly country/country rock – strumming, finger picking & flat picking

7. I’m not all that good of a player (used to be better, but never great) but due to these circumstances I expect to be getting a lot better over the next few months

This isn’t a “what’s the best acoustic guitar” thread. I know that’s subjective. I just want you guys to throw out specific brands and models that I can look for and try out for myself. I will, of course, be doing my own research, but I figured this would be a good place to start. If y’all could throw up suggestions I would greatly appreciate it.

So start tossing those ideas out there.

Much, much thanks in advance :)

Washburn

I've got a Washburn 12 string acoustic I dearly love. Bought it about 20 years ago, and it just keeps sounding better with age. I'd recommend you add Washburn to your "try" list.

Well.....the best one is gonna be the one that makes you salivate when you play it. That may, or may not be the most expensive.

Having said that....:D.......the best acoustic I've ever played was a friends Martin..........this one was a D-41, I believe, and I know that's out of your range......but maybe used, you might could do it. And bro.....that thing was awesome.....it played itself, ya' know? The way some axes just seem to draw your fingers to the right place and have the sound?
Ever since then, I've wanted a Martin.

Lt. Bob said:
it played itself, ya' know?

Well....that wasn't one of my requirements...but HELL YEAH!!! I'd sound better a lot quicker if it did that :D:D:D

Thanks Moonrider...Washburn...check. I appreciate it.

If you look around and wait a little while you very well might stumble upon a used Martin D-18 for that price or less....or....maybe even be able to find a D-28 for around that price. The 18 is mohagany back and sides, the 28 is rosewood and considered the standard of acoustics. Its not out of your range, you just have to decide if you like the sound of rosewood or mohagany.

Of course if you wait a while and save a bit more without telling you wife, you could looke for a used HD-28. Its got more bass response for that country thing. I have a D-41 and it uses the same brassing pattern as the HD-28. Rythem galore.

...and the diamond on the back of the headstock...:D You'll see what I mean if you don't already know.

Find a good local repair guy that specializes in acoustic instruments. These guys have people coming in all the time with stuff they want to sell on consignment. Like Outlaws said, a good D-18, 28, or HD-28. If you want something less boomy check out a OOO-28 or maybe an M-38. Those are excellent fingerstyle instruments.

Whatever you decide on, spring for a bone or ivory nut and saddle, and also have the instrument setup for YOUR taste. It's well worth the bread, IMHO.

I was in the same boat you are when I bought my acoustic. I played everything under the sun whether it fit the budget or not. I settled on a high Washburn because it played and sounded the best both plugged and unplugged. The only Martins I liked were too costly and didn't have electronics. Taylors were nice, but the neck doesn't fit my style. I suggest you just play everything and try and be blind to brand.

For a $1000 you really outta check out the Takamine's. They sound great plugged or unplugged. The 2002 Anniversary dropped in price from $1700 to about $800. I love that guitar.

Take a look at the Canadian guitars. I have a Seagull - for the money, it can't be beat. They run in the $400 to $1K+ range.

The hard part is finding a local music store that carries them so you can actually try them out. We do have at least two stores in St. Louis that has them in stock.

If I were looking for a new guitar in your price range, here's what I'd be looking at:

Takamine
Yamaha
Seagull
Larrivee
Taylor

I have never played a new Martin in your price range that was any better than crappy.

But, as suggested, you can get a lot more for your money if you are patient and find something used. Then you can start looking for the better Taylors, Larrivees, or Martins.

Aaron
http://www.voodoovibe.com

check out the taylor 414 (w/o the overpriced electronics they're around $1000 and you can pick up an pick up for not too much). typically a little bright (like most taylors), but amazing for fingerpicking and solo guitar work.

i love martins - my favorite guitars in the world - but anything under $1500 is crap for them. i have a D-18 and 35.

ps - why don't any sub $1000 guitars have finishes anymore? it bugs me. it's just a sign of cheap build and that the producers don't care.

I second the Larrivée line of guitars. Previously exclusively made in Vancouver, Canada, they now have a California factory, just in case "Made in the USA" is important to you.

I agree that you won't find a descent Martin under $1000. Larrivée on the orther hand has some smokin' acoustics in that price range. They're less bright or "sparkly" than the Taylors, but they produce an extremely well-balanced sound, and dollar-for-dollar a much better buy. Check out the Harmony Central reviews.

They may be no frills, fairly plain-looking instruments (the ones under $1K), but if you don't mind that, I would definitely urge you to at least take a look at them.

Hey guys...thanks for the input !!!

Larrivee looks quite interesting. Seagull is one I hadn't even thought of. This is exactly what I was after. I am going to make a list of geets to try out and start auditioning them. Takamines I hadn't really thought about, but they look interesting too.

I might have to start combing through the area pawn shops :D. I still wouldn't mind owning a Martin, but it sounds like I'll need to go used for that in my price range.

Keep 'em rolling in...the more the merrier!!

I really appreciate this. :)

I won't comment on a $1000 Seagull, but I played a couple in the 3-600 range and was less than impressed. But there are a lot of other guitars in that range I won't give the time of day to either.

Honestly, you don't have to look that hard to find a used Taylor or Martin for that price. ...and not shitty ones either. I used to have a Taylor 710 that I picked up for $775. Granted that was dirt cheap, you should have no problem getting one for $1000. And a D-18...its just a matter of someone selling it.

Oh ya...did I say there is nothing wrong with used? Because there isn't.

Pawn shops. Overpriced for less than stellar stuff. They have Ebay now, they know. They just don't know that it has to be in good condition to command top dollar. I have a pawn shop here with a 1971 D-18 and they want $999. Its been there for well over 6 months. They damn neck has been broke off COMPLETELY at the 3rd fret and glued back on. Its plays like something out of a hundred dollar starter pack, but its "vintage". Its a "collectable". Ya......whatever.

Another one you should check out is Alvarez... I have an Alvarez Yari that I absoulutely love. Check em out!

Put Guild on your list.

I have a Takamine and a Guild and I personally like the Guild much more. It has a great mid-range tone and for me is heaven on the fingers.

A quick search shows the cost for the basic D40 is around $1,200, but some offer to throw in some goodies like extra guitar strings, a tuner, and a stand.

Check them out used too.

Cy

Taylor 314 CE....most economical...not fancy looking.....sounds like a dream and has the Fishman...use elixers (13s) and you will get great sound....
I paid $1200.00 for mine over a year ago.....(retailed at $2500.00)

buy a used one though...save some bucks........they are worth it man...

Attachments

• imag0031asmaller.jpg
    imag0031asmaller.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 176
I found the Taylor 414 to have a more "open" sound than the 714, and its a lot cheaper. Reason...wood. Rosewood is darker in tone. So its all personal taste. Go stay the night at guitar center.

If your interested I have a Taylor 310 equiped with the LR Baggs I-Beam active pick-up. I have kept it in my studio to use when one of my guitars are not around. It is in excellent condition. No dings, nicks or such. Comes with a Taylor Hardshell Luggage case....very nice case. I'm looking to get $850 for it....that is well under your budget, and it is a great guitar. Let me know if your interested....

John@mayesguitars.com

Last edited:
John Mayes guitar and case sounds like a great deal for $850! :)

If you want to get a nice Taylor even cheaper, and one that will definitely fit your hands, try a Big Baby.

If you put a Baggs I-Beam system in a Big Baby you'd have a great playing, great sounding guitar and a lot of extra cash left to spend on other stuff. ;)

Back