I Can't Decide

uhhuhhim

Hey everyone,

So awhile ago, I posted a thread asking all of you which Martin guitar would be the best for the money. Well, sorry for the rhetorical question I guess, but I've finally narrowed the field down as far as which guitars I might want to buy this summer, but I can't decide which one I should buy.

Any opinions on the following guitars would be great :D

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/...readnought-AcousticElectric-Guitar?sku=581931 - This guitar really fits my price point. The most I'd consider paying is $1,000, which this is, but: the cons for this are the fact that I've never owned a solid wood guitar. I have no idea what it takes to take care of a solid wood as far as humidity, etc. Plus, my old Fender DG20CE -- my very first serious guitar DOES have dings in it. I don't know what I would do if I actually banged a solid wood guitar on a doorway or anywhere else. So, fragility comes in to play. I don't know if I'd want to have to be so cautious every time I play it.

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Martin-DCX1E-AcousticElectric-Guitar?sku=514816 - This guitar is one I'm considering based on the sole fact that one of my favorite singers uses it to make all of his music. It's a lot cheaper than the previous solid wood model, but: It's HPL and whether or not it's Made in Mexico is a factor, as I do believe there are differences in quality if you compare an American made DXC1E with one made in Mexico. One of the pros to this guitar is that the HPL is durable and could stand up to normal wear, which for me would be accidentally banging it against a doorway or wall. I could probably even list any of the Martin models around $650-$700 in price as a possibility, but the reviews for the DCX1E are so mixed that I'm hesitant, although I do like the 00CXAE as well (my Fender DG20CE is black).

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Takamine-EG523SC-AcousticElectric-Guitar?sku=516302 - This guitar would probably be the one I'd buy in order to save some money against the Martin DC-1E. Some of the selling points for me, of course, are the price, but also the look of this guitar. I love the abalone inlays on the fretboard and soundhole, which is something that I've never had on a guitar. It's just a little more appealing looks wise compared to some other guitars in the same price range. Plus, it's a Jumbo, which wouldn't be hard to handle as I'm just under 6 FT. I've also read a lot of reviews praising the pickup system compared to higher-end brand guitars. There is also the EG523CDX model, which is about $200 more than this model. I believe you get a solid top and back with laminate sides, but: I hate sunbursts and orange is not my color. Another pro for the EG523SC would be the laminate back and sides, which some people would argue is not great compared to solid wood, but like I said: Dings are bound to happen. Edit: Forgot to mention this. Another minor con for this model would only be that I've heard that the action on this guitar is high. True or not? Edit 2: Also, I've read reviews that say that this guitar doesn't sound as great unplugged, which is a minor con. Maybe someone can testify about that.

Sadly, no Fender models made the cut. I am partial to Fender, as the DG20CE was my first mid-range guitar way back when, but none of the current models impressed me at all.

So, these are the models that I'm looking to buy. I think I've done a good job of figuring out what's good and what's not so great about each, but if you own ANY of these guitars please let me know what you think. I will be more active in this thread as opposed to the other one, so please help me out.

Thanks,

uhhuhhim :D

Back