I can't correct drum phase problems on drums!! help!! =(

MightyPOOsticK

I can't correct my phase problems on drums!! help!! =(

Ok heres my setup...

1 samson condensor
1 shure sm57
1 shure pg57
triggered bass

Ok I was thinking I would go ahead and get the condensor (overhead mic) where I wanted it first....and I did that...got good sound from it...

(btw I'm recording in mono)

Now I wanted to put a mic (sm57) on the snare.....after I do this I get phase problems....its not terribly bad...but you can tell like in cool edit pro when I zoom in on the two tracks. There is a little bit of a delay between the overhead mic and the snare mic....

I have no idea on how to fix this. I wanted to add the pg57 to the floor tom....and I'm pretty sure this is gonna introduce a whole new phase problem....

I'm about to rip all my hair out over this.....hewp meh!!

Last edited:
Just because they occur at different times doesn't mean there is automatically a phase problem. Do you hear a big difference in the sound when you mix in the snare mic with the OH?

The indications of phase cancellation are that frequencies actually start to disappear when you bring up the second mic. Listen as you slowly bring up the snare mic for the snare or cymbals to sound like they are starting to fade out or like there is a slight phaser effect on them.

As an experiment you can invert the phase on one of the tracks. Try that and see if it makes it better or worse.

Back