I am very, very new to this

truepoet

Hello, everyone. I am very new to home recording, and I have decided to record a song. I have some things I'm not sure about, and I need help.
1. I'm thinking of ordering a Samson G-Track USB Microphone and Audio Interface. Does this mean I'm good for recording vocals and I need nothing more? (I'm not talking about quality) Do I just plug this into my computer? I have Windows XP.

2. I'm also thinking of ordering a USB MIDI Cable Converter PC to Music Keyboard. I thought of borrowing a keyboard from a friend just to record this one song, and I'm wondering: are all keyboards able to connect to MIDI cable converters?

3. Since my budget is extremely limited, I can't afford a drum pad. Instead, I'm going to use electronic drums/download loops. Is there a cheap or free electronic drum download?

Let's say that I have all of these, and then I plug them into my computer. What happens after? Does something pop up? Or do I have to download a program?

I have alot more questions, but I can't think of them. Please help!

and everything is going to work?

But of course....

Oh, sorry, I was thinking we were in a parallel universe.

I'd suggest you use the search function up above and look for any of the other "I'm new to this, how do I make it all work?" threads in the Newbies forum (or just go through the pages) and do a bit of reading.

In principle, with what you're thinking of getting, you have enough to get a recording happening.

Pretty much all keyboards are MIDI devices, incidentally.

Will it all magically work together? Not a chance, I'd say.

You'll have to learn to operate numerous pieces of kit and get them to talk to each other as well as understand some basic recording principles. But don't worry, thousands before you have mastered this and there are always people here willing to help when you have specific questions.

There are probably better free programs than Audacity, but it's a good start and relatively simple.

Good luck and welcome to your new obsession... :drunk:

All right, thanks. Does anyone know any good electronic drum programs or where I can download some drum loops?

Also, when I plug the keyboard into the computer, what happens? What program pops up? Or do I have to download a special program to record the music I play? If so, what is it? This goes for my microphone as well. Thanks once again!

I repeat...

"I'd suggest you use the search function up above and look for any of the other "I'm new to this, how do I make it all work?" threads in the Newbies forum (or just go through the pages) and do a bit of reading."

Google is useful. Try "free drum loops" for instance.

Perhaps consider that no-one is answering your questions because they're too broad in scope.

If you're thinking that you just have to buy / download stuff and it'll all work together automatically, then you'll be disappointed... It just isn't that easy. But it's not that hard either, but you need to have some of the things being discussed so you can ask specific questions.

You've already been told you need to download a special program to record the music - that's what Audacity is - do you have this yet? It would be a good start.

What happens when you plug your keyboard into your PC? I don't know. You'll probably actually be plugging your keyboard into a MIDI interface, not the PC, unless it's got a USB output.

Hello, everyone. I am very new to home recording, and I have decided to record a song. I have some things I'm not sure about, and I need help.
1. I'm thinking of ordering a Samson G-Track USB Microphone and Audio Interface. Does this mean I'm good for recording vocals and I need nothing more? (I'm not talking about quality) Do I just plug this into my computer? I have Windows XP.

2. I'm also thinking of ordering a USB MIDI Cable Converter PC to Music Keyboard. I thought of borrowing a keyboard from a friend just to record this one song, and I'm wondering: are all keyboards able to connect to MIDI cable converters?

3. Since my budget is extremely limited, I can't afford a drum pad. Instead, I'm going to use electronic drums/download loops. Is there a cheap or free electronic drum download?

Let's say that I have all of these, and then I plug them into my computer. What happens after? Does something pop up? Or do I have to download a program?

I have alot more questions, but I can't think of them. Please help!

Answers:

1. The Samson G-Track is a microphone and interface. You won't need a seperate interface. You'll probably have to download the drivers or install them from the cd. I would suggest reading the manual. Most companies will have the manuals online so you can read them ahead of time.

2. If you're keyboard has a MIDI OUT, it should be able to connect to a USB/MIDI cable. What kind of keyboard are you talking about?

3. I don't know about cheap or free drum downloads, but I do know that the KORG NANOpad comes with EZdrummer LITE and it's not but $50. I just bought one a few weeks ago and so far, so good.

As far as just plugging everything in and it working right from the start.........probably not. Dowload Reaper as your DAW. It's free until you decide to pay for it. Read the manuals of the software & hardware. I repeat...READ THE MANUALS OF ALL OF THE SOFTWARE AND HARDWARE. That's really important. First try to figure it out on your own, then if you have trouble ask for help.

Have fun,:D

Like Dastrick said, a USB mic plugs into a USB port, not an interface. If you are using an interface, you need a regular mic.-Richie

Like Dastrick said, a USB mic plugs into a USB port, not an interface. If you are using an interface, you need a regular mic.-Richie

...and, I'd suggest getting an interface and a normal regular xlr dynamic or condenser mic. I would not recommend a usb mic.

Do you have a budget in mind? Home recording is kind of a bottomless hole as far as options, features and cost. You can delve into it as little or deep is you want.

Back