I am That Man

is that you singing? it sounds great.. I think the distorted guitar and the bass should come up, but other than that, it sounds good.. nice vocal sound, but it gets a bit loud in a few spots.. maybe some compression because it's not all the time..

where's the solo?!!!

B.SABBATH said:
is that you singing? it sounds great.. I think the distorted guitar and the bass should come up, but other than that, it sounds good.. nice vocal sound, but it gets a bit loud in a few spots.. maybe some compression because it's not all the time..

where's the solo?!!!

Sabbath,

Thanks for the listen brother. Long time no see. Yeah that is me singing... or at least doing my best. I agree with the necessity of compression. I will work on that. The whole thing needs to be smoothed out a bit in my opinion. Up with the bass and Dirty guitars.. I was thinking that too. Note made.

I know, I know... no solo. Sorry. I will put something together for you outside of this song. :p

Cheers,

Fangar

I noticed something else on this.. what are you using for drums? It almost sounds like the tempo has been shifted too low in the heavier parts.. I can hear it on the snare.. I get this sound when I try to alter the tempo too slow in Acid..

it's quite possible I'm hearing things, but are you using acid?

Cool tune man-I like the clean (strat) tone-Good vocals too-though they are kinda uneven-I guess as mentioned-compression or volume envelopes? depending on what you mix on. Yeah-just ride the vocs during the louder sections and you're there. Whats your guitar setup? sounds like the roland jazz chorus amp I used to have in the clean section---good tone. I think a musical hook(guitar riff or keys) would work well-in some part of the song to break up the parts a little more-just an opinion-

'what they said, I ould hear too. Its almost sking for another guitar to hook the end of some the lines, not a lot, just for flavor. I like the way it was arranged. I`m sure if you played the drums in realtime that keeping it that steady in that type of meter would be tuff. Good job man, I like the tune a lot.

Hey Fanger!
What's happinin man?
Havn't seen you around forever,still working on the house?:D

First thing that hit me were the lyrics,man just great!
Can you post them?

Really fine vocals,harmonies were tight.
Nice melody and chord changes.

How did you record the guitars,nice stereo imaging.
Drums sound great too.

I agree with Sam,seems like it needs some compression,mabey an overall to smooth it out.

Nice to see you around,looking foward to the next version.

Pete

Yep, needs another guitar part to keep it interesting. Good tune Fangar. I really liked your vocals.

Twist

I really like this song, particularly the vocals. I also like the sound of the distorted guitar though I think it needs to be a little more in my face(though that may be just my preference)...

I'm thinking start this with an acoustic and use it all the way through on the rythmn. Only use the strat in the clean mode for emphasis on the chorus.

Gotta add either a B3 organ behind all this or an up beat piano.

Basic rule of music:

Drums
Bass
Guitar
Vocals
and the one your missing, PAD sounds to glue it together i.e.
Hammond B3, Synth, Steel guitar, even background vocals. Something back there to play off of and fill the holes.

Your voice and vocals were stellar. Guitar work was great.

Good song! Nice vocals.

I think it could use a stronger bassline. Also I like the clean guitar, but I think it would gel better if it had just a tad of grit on it and less compression.

Also needs a saturated neck pickup solo.;)

All I can say is " almost there"

This song is very good and it had the potential to be a wildcard song but the wildcard did not come in where I was expecting.

Overall : VERY GOOD

Sam (Sabbath):

I am using ACID (Sonic Foundry's I mean... :p ) and I know exactly what you are talking about. I don't really hear it here though. I had the problem though with some of the Hats I was trying to use, so I wouldn't doubt it. I will check...

M.Brane:

I agree... Bass is not my Forte. I have a hard time playing and creating bass lines as a real bass player might do. I know, no excuse. Thanks for listening and the good pointers.

Middleman:

Thanks for the listen. I wish I could play piano. Thanks for the comments on my voice. I think it is my weakest point personally, but I am getting better with time. I seem to have the hardest time recording it.

darwinsdoggy:

I can see your point about the Distorted Guitar being more out front. Thanks for your opinion.

Twist:

Thanks for the input. I might try to add some punch in guitar stuff.

Hey Muze (Pete):

I know I haven't checked in in a while. Always working on the house. Tons of Court lately too (Damn bad guys keep me wealthy). At least all of the overtime rolling in helps to pay for the toys. I got a sweet new Spa. It will fit me and about 7 chicks, or just me and my wife....dang it. That was my last project anyway, it came out nice....

Here is a photo: Spa

I posted the lyrics below for you. I use a POD 2.0 for all guitars. Usually I record onto (2) tracks with both outputs from the POD to ADAT. When I dump them to Sonic Foundry's Vegas (PC) , I keep them seperate and then offset them by a pinch (usually by only 100ths of a second) , and then pan them in opposite directions. I get a pretty big sound this way with very little effort. Thanks for the comments. The drums are ACID and all programmed from scratch (One Shots). It's not in 4/4 if you didn't notice, so I still haven't found time to put all of the big fills and stuff in as it has proven to be a bit more challenging that usual for me.

Toki:

Thanks for the listen and kind words. I am always looking for something to send a song home. Thanks

Statomaster:

I listened again and again on my way home from work tonight. I am going to envelope the vocals and drop a few db's off of the peaks to smooth out the volume problems. I know right where to do it. Thanks. I Tricked you with that POD. I love the clean tone of the jazzchorus.. wish I had one. I play an Ibanez RG 570 with Seymour Duncan pickups.

Cyan:

Thanks for the listen and opinion. Not sure I follow the Wildcard? Like some sort of twist to it? Thanks again.

Cheers Guys,

Fangar

==============================
I AM THAT MAN

Verse 1:

I open my eyes, intrigued to find where I might be
Who I’ve become, and who I have already been.
Struck down again, the concrete is my only friend
This poison in my veins would drive a mere mortal insane.

Chorus:

I wipe the sleep from my eyes.
I brace myself and I try to rise.
I fall to the ground, but I’m not surprised
Oh I never imagined I be where I am, but I am… I am that man.

Verse 2:

Wait (Break)… Never mind…Same old me that I find.
What makes you think that I have chosen this life that I lead?
Well I don’t need you to “Deal” with me just go away and leave me be.
Really I’m just fine, I have no use for “Your” time .

Chorus:

My excuses are mine to believe.
I don’t create them for you, they work for me.
Isn’t there someplace you’ve got to be.
You could never imagine yourself like I am, but I am… I am that man.

Bridge:

Do you know what it’s like to be surrounded but always alone?
No comfort from the outside, no way to escape from the cold.

Chorus / Outro:

And there’s no place that I’ve got to be.
I’ve no need for a watch time surpasses me.
I’ve often imagined where I would be.
I never imagined I’d be what I am, but I am… I am that man.

wow

you are the man.

This is really good. I love your voice and the backups are very very sweet. How do you reach those high notes? what a good song. Thanks

Erland

this is a nice song.....nice singing, and I've got a feeling I can hear the vocals "sliding" right to center sometimes....were you playing with some panning on them or something...some sort of a delay...i don't know maybe I'm hearing things on my crappy headphones...:D
The kick is too "wide"...I think you could "shave it off" a bit..
BTW, excuse my "innovative" AE vocabulary...:D :D
Great stuff overall...

Fangar said:
Sam (Sabbath):

I am using ACID (Sonic Foundry) and I know exactly what you are talking about. I don't really hear it here though. I had the problem though with some of the Hats I was trying to use, so I wouldn't doubt it. I will check...

cool.. I'm surprised I was able to hear it.. If no one else is hearing it, I wouldn't worry about it.. I do hear it quite clearly, but that's because I have been trying to avoid this exact thing.. That's why I make loops in Fruity at the tempo I'll be using them at, and then import them into acid..

Re: wow

Erland said:
you are the man.

This is really good. I love your voice and the backups are very very sweet. How do you reach those high notes? what a good song. Thanks

Erland

Erland,

Thanks very much for the nice comments. I had my balls removed at a young age and that has helped greatly with the high notes. :p Actually, I tend to be a little more comfortable in the higher register than lower. I appreciate your time.

Fangar

Roker1 said:
this is a nice song.....nice singing, and I've got a feeling I can hear the vocals "sliding" right to center sometimes....were you playing with some panning on them or something...some sort of a delay...i don't know maybe I'm hearing things on my crappy headphones...:D
The kick is too "wide"...I think you could "shave it off" a bit..
BTW, excuse my "innovative" AE vocabulary...:D :D
Great stuff overall...

Roker,

Thanks. I use the same setting on vocals the whole song through. A Slight Room reverb may be what you are hearing, but it is there the whole time. I bet my headphones suck more than yours. I need new ones.

About the kick. Do you mean that it has to much range? I sure notice that it changes drastically from system to system. For example, when I play the song through my car stereo and home stereo the kick takes quite a different shape. Still working on the right mix. Thanks.

Fangar

B.SABBATH said:
cool.. I'm surprised I was able to hear it.. If no one else is hearing it, I wouldn't worry about it.. I do hear it quite clearly, but that's because I have been trying to avoid this exact thing.. That's why I make loops in Fruity at the tempo I'll be using them at, and then import them into acid..

Sam,

And mostly on the snare in the heavier parts? I am trying to locate it. I did a lot of little subtle bass drum kicks, maybe you are hearing that. And a couple of Flams on the snare, or are you hearing it the whole way through? Anyway, I will keep a look out fro it. Thanks again.

Fangar

Very cool. It reminds me of some of the stuff I loved about Styx and Kansas...I mean, it doesn't really sound like either, but it's just got that "epic" feel to it.

I liked it a ton. Some acoustics would do wonders for this...free you up to use that clean electric for fills.

Back