I am going to trade a piece of gear... Is it worth it?

scottboyher

I was offered a Lexicon 100 or 110 (can't remember) that I have used before (barrowed) for my Alesis MidiVerb 4.

Is it worth it or should I stick with the Alesis?

I know there is a Lexicon thread on the board right now but I didn't want to hijack it.

Alesis Midiverb IV...I own one, and am in the process of upgrading to Lexicon. Keep in mind, a Lexi with digital display, not the 100/100. I don't hate the Alesis...as a matter of fact, it has done me well. But I am upgrading for the Lexi "sound". Don't know if it is the same at the lower MPX level, but look at my recent post "Lexicon Reverb outboard" and you will find some good info concerning my similar situation.
I walked away and felt the need to edit, so here goes...
I have been a primary guitar player in the past who has done "demo" tapes in the late '80s onto early '90s. Going though basic four track recorders, I have used DOD. My opinion, at that time, that they did not sound good for reverb, delay, whatever they offered.
My opinion in the mid/late '90s...recorded a demo (to get live gigs only) through a Yamaha mini-disc recorder, forget the model, but again used a newer DOD multi-effects unit...could not get a decent sound, though maybe that was our inexperience in working with outboard.
2001, bought some gear in hopes to record at home. Started with a TASCAM 424MKIII, then decided 8 tracks was minimum so I sold it and bought a used 488MKII, which is still my primary recorder. Then I bought Joe Meek MQ3 and the Alesis. The Alesis sounded WORLDS!!! better than the previous DOD I had worked with. Still own the Alesis. Midiverb IV allows you to edit things pretty well (on-screen at that) if you're into it, a considerabe positive from the non-display unit you are considering. I like the Alesis, but as I continue to grow and learn about recording, and my ears follow, I recently felt the need to "step up" in the quality of reverb that I currently own. The kind folks on this BBS have given some good advice, so please read my thread. Never heard the 100/110, Lexicon is a great name, but the mere simplicity of the unit would seem to me a slightly unfair trade. I may be wrong, and in my recent thread at least one person was very happy with his Lexi MPX 100 (DUH!!!edit, edit, edit...just realized that was you and the first person to respond to my thread!...sorry). Again, if Lexicon is the shit even at the "knob" level, then it may be worth it. Good thing about this site is you have people that have been doing this a lot longer than I have (maybe even you, not sure your history) and can give good advice as "musicians helping musicians" Let's see what the others have to say. Hope this helps... :)
btw, you intending to used this as a primary across the board, or individual track(s)/buss situation?

Last edited:
Those Alesis boxes were typically kind of "eh" on the performance end of things, but the Midivery III had some pretty cool sounds on the modulated side of things. Pretty fat flanges and what not...

I'd try to hear the Lexicon first though if you can.

War

Back