I am going to buy a HD24, need mixer advice

Benreturns said:
I noticed the Tacam DM24 has a record button on it. This is not a multrack SIAB so why does it have a record function? Thought it was just a mixer?

You can probably operate Tascam multi-tracks from the mixer with a control cable.

Herm said:
Why did Alesis make it a +4 machine only? Its not like its a pro machine.
Most people that are going to be using these are guys that are not going to be running 100 feet of cable from the mixer.
:

Pro or not, most people who get an HD24 are going to be using gear that runs at +4.

And as for cable distance, balanced vs. unbalanced and hi/lo impedance makes more difference than signal level.

boingoman said:
Pro or not, most people who get an HD24 are going to be using gear that runs at +4.

And as for cable distance, balanced vs. unbalanced and hi/lo impedance makes more difference than signal level.

so, what are my board options that have 24 +4 outs?

ghost,mackie, etc... what board can i get that will work right out of the box? what board will work as it should at +4, not which has the best mic preamps or eq?

i want to buy, plug in and go. i will worry about eq and preamps later when i can hear the shortcomings.

capnreverb,

I think you should try to go the hd24/ghost option. I've mixed a couple of projects through a ghost using the hd24. It's a great setup and provides the efficiency you're looking for. If you check ebay, you could probably get a ghost 24le for around $2k. The preamps, eq, etc is very good for the money. It also has a TON of routing capabilities...it really shines with the hd24. The ghost will provide a good setup that you can add to later with various outboard. Also the hd24 is easy to use and stable.

In the price range I don't think you'll find anything that comes close to the ghost.

Jburn34 said:
In the price range I don't think you'll find anything that comes close to the ghost.

Look into the Allen&Heath GL2200 series mixers. Damn nice, and a bit cheaper than the Ghost.

To save money the Allen Hetah would be great, but it lacks a lot of the features. The Ghost offers a good compromise between features, price, and sound quality. For pur sound quality, look at the Midas Venice. It too lacks many of the "studio" features though.

capnreverb said:
Going to make the plunge. But, i need to get an "affordable" 24 channel mixing board to go with it. Yamaha? Mackie?........ What are you using or what do you suggest?

Also, i will not be using a computer with this. It will be just HD24 and the mixer.

Thanks
-wietlispach
Don't get a Mackie 8 buss... I've got a Mackie 32x8 and have had problems with some of the switches and etc... and its not that good when you start stacking tracks with it either. I suggest you do what I did and keep an eye on ebay, and etc for a good used Soundcraft Ghost... trust me, there is a night and day difference between the Mackie and Soundcraft.

xstatic said:
To save money the Allen Hetah would be great, but it lacks a lot of the features. The Ghost offers a good compromise between features, price, and sound quality. For pur sound quality, look at the Midas Venice. It too lacks many of the "studio" features though.

What does the ghost have the A&H doesn't. Just curious.

Ghost is also inline (which I suppose falls under "routing" like DJL said). You can use the Mix B for monitoring during tracking, and to gain inputs at mixdown. The GL series are more intended for live work. Looks like A&H just came out with a new GL series though...you may want to investigate further.

More routing capabilities.

Adam P said:
Ghost is also inline (which I suppose falls under "routing" like DJL said). You can use the Mix B for monitoring during tracking, and to gain inputs at mixdown. The GL series are more intended for live work. Looks like A&H just came out with a new GL series though...you may want to investigate further.
Oops, I deleted my post by mistake. :o

"Looks like A&H just came out with a new GL series though...you may want to investigate further."

New? For recording? What's the the model number? Thanks :)
------------------------------------------------------------------------

HangDawg said:
What does the ghost have the A&H doesn't. Just curious.
More routing capabilities... the Soundcraft Ghost has a lot more routing capabilities than the Allen&Heath GL2200.

Last edited:
The GL line by Allen Heath does not have an inline tape return per channel. Therefore to have the full flexibility of a studio console, you would need to have twice as many channels. However, if you do get twice as many channels, then you have a much more routable console than a ghost since EVERY channel would have a preamp, and a fully featured EQ, a full fader, full assignment, and full aux and buss routing options. It would of course take up twice the amount of space (which could add to its impressiveness). Or, you could look into the Allen Heath GS series. It is very similar to the Ghost, but is no longer in current production I beleive. Good solid little studio boards. In my opinion even with the Ghost in terms of sound quality and capabilities, but you would have to find one used. The good news is that they typically sell used for less than Ghosts seem to.

Hmm, well if that's what you wanted to do... you could also buy the Ghost expander and again have way more routing capabilities than the A&H.

That is true, but you could get into a 32 channel Allen heath for the price of a 24 channel Ghost. Personally, I wouldn't do either. I merely threw it out there as an option. Personally I would spend less money than on a Ghost and get a used console that has more features, costs less and sonically kills it. Of course there would be some TLC involved as well, but I prefer the quality. I still think that the Ghost is the best value if buying a new console for a studio though. But, a 48 channel FOH console that has direct outs will offer more features than a 24 channel studio console. It doubles the preamps and the EQ, and often times will have more aux sends available on it. Maybe even VCA's too.

The Mackie 32:8 that I work with has broken pres, faders, switches, knobs, meters, jacks, etc.

It also doesn't have the headroom to handle full 24-bit audio. You need to trim each track by about 6db before hitting the tape return or you'll have to mix with all of your faders about an inch from the bottom of their travel. (In a full 24-track mix).

Also, the mic/line switches are insanely hard to use because they are located BETWEEN the mic and line inputs on the patch panel. You have to go behind the mixer and unplug some of the cables in order to see if the mic/line switch is engaged. If you have big hands you won't be able to push the switch without unpatching.

Lastly, the phantom power switches for each 8 channels aren't true 48V phantom power. There is only enough phantom power for about 4 of the eight channels if you are using condensers. You can't use 24 condensers at the same time on the Mackie 24:8 unless you use external phantom power or low power drawing condensers like the AKG C414.

These are just some things that you can't read on the spec sheets. I would stay away from the Mackies unless you are looking at the new Onyx mixers.

While the Mackie can certainly do the job and may even be worth the money, there are other products out there that can do the job better and are more than worth the money.

Good luck with your search :) !

I use a Soundtracs PC 32 in the studio. Got it off Ebay for $1800. My guess is it would whoop the shit outa most of the low end consoles easily.

The Allen & Heath console you are considering buying is -8 or +4 selectable:
http://www.allen-heath.com/veterans/products/system8/system8_mk3_specs.pdf

If you used a console at -10 I/O with the HD24, you would not be able to record levels near zero (-15 on the HD24), record levels would be low and the console's clean headroom (signal before clipping) would be compromised.

the A&H at +4 should work fine with the HD24. A more pressing concern would be the condition of the console and any problems that it might have due to age.

Back