Hypochonria

propman

[MP3]https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/65316259/Hypochondria.mp3[/MP3]
For mobile users

I think this one might be just a bit better than my last effort... but, y'all tell me! Thanks in advance!​

Lyrics

Poor Valery - N. Fowleri
Poor Jacob - Creutzfeldt-Jakob
Poor Terri - Guillain-Barré
Poor Wilson - kept awake by his very own namesake

Valery, Jacob, Terri and Wilson
They've all been told but they just won't listen
As there's something wrong with them
Because there's nothing wrong with them

You should see them when they're off of their meds
Acting out their funerals in each of their heads

(Tomorrow, in millions of homes, life begins ... with the alarm clock)

Valery, Jacob, Terri and Wilson
They've all been told but they just won't listen

You should see them when they're off of their meds
Acting out their funerals in each of their heads

Excellent music and production! Really good.

I was wanting you to forgo some of the effects on the lead vocals in places. Maybe just certain lines or phrases.

GREAT melodies too.

I really like this man!

Thanks a whole heap! I'm really glad you like it!
Question: What effects? I thought, for the most part, that I left them pretty much bone dry.

Oh! OK. I doubled my voice (two octaves) and used slight pitch correction to make them mesh better.
I wanted it to have that slide-whistle effect on the Terri/Barré. You think it's too much?

Edit: I also have the doubled vocals run through a distortion plugin and buried underneath to give it texture.

It's actually fine to me. I just thought a change could be cool. Cut that stuff out for a line or two. Wash it with delay or reverb if you want to. Maybe these two lines of the chorus:

Just an idea. I like what you have too. My ideas don't always work but the vocal was really the only thing that stood out to me as the effect was the same throughout and got a little blah for me.

Everything sounds good though. The mix is really good to my ears.

The part you're referring to (in the chorus) was just a stack of harmonies. I like the idea and think it might be interesting - in fact, I employed it on a song I did a while back with pretty interesting results ... but I'm quite fond of the way the vocals sit at the moment. Plus, they're bounced and it'd take a while to backtrack and re-render. I really appreciate the listen and I'm glad you like the mix so much. I'm really proud of it and it's good to know I'm not alone in thinking it's a'ight. :D

Very modern Beatles...and very cool. Great job on the composition! Really like the vocals! I think its a good mix...no crits from me.

Cool stuff Adam.
I liked it & enjoyed it.
You shouldn't be the butt of rectalinear commentary re this one.
Though the topic is serious & the contrast between it the largely 20thC condition of solipsism.

Very modern Beatles...and very cool. Great job on the composition! Really like the vocals! I think its a good mix...no crits from me.

Thank you very much!

Cool stuff Adam.
I liked it & enjoyed it.
You shouldn't be the butt of rectalinear commentary re this one.
Though the topic is serious & the contrast between it the largely 20thC condition of solipsism.

Thanks, Ray! Those ... last two sentences, though ... You're going to have to dumb them down a bit. I'm not sure how solipsism plays a roll in this and struggled to understand what you meant by rectalinear commentary. You're and English teacher and, I, a mere hobbyist in the sport of linguistics.

There's a 'd' in "hypochondria" ;)

Oops! I didn't catch that when I typed it in. One can't edit titles on here, though. :o

A BIT better? :D I thought this was ace. Really, really good. I particularly enjoyed the interplay between the bass instrument and that bloopy/percussive goings-on in centre stage. The instrumental parts were nicely developed and I really liked the choice of sounds. The lyrics are great, too.

I'll put the last one down as a blip. :D

Really cool stuff, and the mix sounds great to me. I like the vocals a lot.

I'm curious as to what the song is about, and I'm a little confused by the lyric "As there's something wrong with them." Is this meant to be the same thing as saying "As if there's something wrong them?" by chance?

A BIT better? :D I thought this was ace. Really, really good. I particularly enjoyed the interplay between the bass instrument and that bloopy/percussive goings-on in centre stage. The instrumental parts were nicely developed and I really liked the choice of sounds. The lyrics are great, too.

I'll put the last one down as a blip. :D

Thanks a lot, Budda!

I saw it as a pun on rectilinear, in the sense of being strait laced and unswerving in criticism, but with "rectal" in the spelling in reference to your previous song theme. :D

I didn't catch that. Perhaps! Haha!

Really cool stuff, and the mix sounds great to me. I like the vocals a lot.

I'm curious as to what the song is about, and I'm a little confused by the lyric "As there's something wrong with them." Is this meant to be the same thing as saying "As if there's something wrong them?" by chance?

The song is about what the title suggests; hypochondriacs. The lyric you're referring to ("As there's something wrong with the") means: there's something wrong with them (mentally) because there's nothing wrong with them (physically). Thanks for listening. I'm glad you liked what you heard!

solipsism.

Solipsism?
(Don't tell my band I posted that!)

I thought the mix was pretty good.

The lyrics were clever. I wouldn't have minded if the bass jam in the middle were a tad shorter; it currently drags a bit, but that's arrangement, not mixing.

The stereo spread on the percussion is cool. I like the effect you achieved with your vocals.

Really solid mix and a tight performance all around.

The vocals all sound like they're hi-passed or something, they sound a little boxy to me. Maybe too much compression? Something is making them sound really mid-heavy.

Everything is nice and clean, clear, and balanced to me. Stereo spread is nice, arrangement and the song as a whole is pretty damn terrific. I have to say nice work man.

Hypochondria is, in a way, someone seeing themselves as the centre of all things even if it's the centre of a world of illness & carriers of illness each with the sole aim of making the person ill.
A solipsist might see the same but would believe that all of those things were figments of their imagination in a reality that is only a construct of their mind.
To quote myself...This isn't a real song, it's an image I conjured up to ridicule myself and test my true sense of of oneness as the universe. I'm only writing to you because it concludes the cyclical nature of this existential drama. If there was a real world then I'd be Chris Bell because he, well my creation of him, put it into words and music - such as they are being mere inventions of my own to allow me to put my concept into neat baskets - hmm, baskets, where did that come from? There I go, talking to m'self again - but then that's all there is.

I thought this was excellent. Vocals were first rate to me. tight performances and great harmonies. What distortion plugin did you run the doubled tracks through? THat's an interesting idea. Which I might very well steal.

Nice job.

Back