Hyperthreading Background services

C#Dave

For one thing, I have always used the "Programs" settings under Performance because I've used the computer for many things, although it's recommended that it be set to Background Services.

I'm loading Cubase SX on a dedicated drive so now I'm free to set it up anyway I need. It will be stripped of everything that doesn't make music. No need for anti-virus software etc. (Wont go on-line :D )

The other thing that has changed is that I now am installing a 2.8c H/T processor. I have heard good and bad remarks about H/T and Cubase, so I guess I'm after some feedback from those that have similar setups.

Should H/T be enabled when on the music drive, and if so, will I benefit from running priority to Background Services? I hope that H/T is cool, because this is a dual-boot drive, and I REALLY don't want to go in the bios every time I switch drives. :(

Thanks!!!

Dave

From what I've read over in the Steinberg forums, I wouldn't enable hyperthreading. Seems to be causing more problems than benefits right now.

Depending on other elements of your PC and configuration, you should still be getting the performance you need.

As far as priority to background services, this is brought up and recommended on most of the audio tweaking/optimization sites. For low latency using ASIO, setting the priority this way will let the application or driver "have it's way" so to speak with the CPU.

warble said:
From what I've read over in the Steinberg forums, I wouldn't enable hyperthreading. Seems to be causing more problems than benefits right now.

Depending on other elements of your PC and configuration, you should still be getting the performance you need.

As far as priority to background services, this is brought up and recommended on most of the audio tweaking/optimization sites. For low latency using ASIO, setting the priority this way will let the application or driver "have it's way" so to speak with the CPU.

This is from the Steinberg knowledgebase:

"To use ASIO at lowest latencies under Windows 2000 single CPU systems, the 'system performance' has to be optimized for background tasks. Go to Control Panel/System/Advanced/Performance Options. Change the default 'Applications' to 'Background tasks'. The lowest usable latency will drop from 23 ms to around 3 ms."

But as I read on, I see this:

"If you are running a Xeon HT multi-CPU system, you should disable Hyper-Threading in the BIOS. If you are running a single Pentium 4 CPU system, enabling Hyper-Threading results in an increase of processing power."

It almost leads me to believe that some of the problems users are having could have something to do with the System Performance settings.

Daved and Confused :confused:

C#Dave said:
It almost leads me to believe that some of the problems users are having could have something to do with the System Performance settings.

Very well could be. I don't use P4's or Intel for that matter, so maybe someone else could chime in here. What could it hurt to just give it a shot?

You have a point. What can it hurt? I, like most everyone else have my music backed up on several drives, so it ain't like I'm gonna kill somethin'! I just really don't want to have to stop in the bios everytime I boot to the music drive to disable H/T.

I appreciate your help!!!

Dave

Back