Humbuckers For Rock Music

mike2731

Hey everyone. I'm working on a new project guitar. I have a Kramer Pacer Imperial body with 2 humbuckers, and I'm looking for some opinions of pickups. I play rock, usually heavier, at least the guitars, through my Soldano. I'm not going to go with EMG's, as I have/had a Warmoth body with 1 hum in the bridge where I had an EMG 81, and just want something different What ideas do you have for both the bridge and neck. I'd like something with a good deal of crunch in the bridge, but clear, and the neck I want something warm and fat. Thanks!

Mike

"and the Seymore Duncan Jeff Beck model."

agreed, badass pickup that SH-4 is..i've got one in my strat bridge

My current favorite combination is the Seymour Duncan Alnico II in the neck position, and the Seymour Duncan Pearly Gates in the bridge. The most popular combination we sell, though it is a more diverse combination than just a loud rock guitar, is the Seymour Duncan Jazz in the neck, and the Seymour Duncan JB in the bridge. Great pickups all, to my ear.

Light

"Cowards can never be moral."
M.K. Gandhi

I have some AGI Lace humbuckers (D-100 and D-150) in one of my axes. They are warm and crunchy but not super high-gain pickups.

The Lace humbuckers are in stark contrast to the sterile high-gain sound of the EMGs in my other electric.

I like them both but the EMGs are much better for an aggressive modern rock sound-- but they pretty much suck for pretty clean sounds. For clean stuff or more classic "warm" tones, I reach for the axe with the Lace humbuckers.

tom18222 said:
seymour duncan invader, its very powerful, dirty, and ballsy, perfect for rock. i have one in both of my guitars.

I'll second the Invaders for playing hard rock.

The JB/ Jazz combo light mentioned is a perrenial favorite. In fact I used to have a Kramer Pacer that came stock w/ those exact pickups. Sounded great. So does an SD Custom.

The DiMarzio PAF Pro is also a good pickup in the more modern vein, though not as high output as the JB (which I prefer).

I just put a DiMarzio Air Norton in the bridge of my strat, and it is quit interesting. It has a very percussive sound. Not quite as much high-end as I'd like though, but more responsive to pick dynamics than any other pickup I've played. The PAF Pro is about the same output, but with more high end.

The DiMarzio Tone Zone is another high-output pickup you might consider. It differs from the JB in that it doesn't have nearly as much high-end.

Pickups are tough... good luck.

A
www.aaroncheney.com

Back