Humbly submitted for your approval...etc.

CharlesThomas

Hey.

With the obvious risks in mind, I've written another article aimed at giving some tips to beginners out there.
http://www.hotterthankarl.com/CharlesThomas/drum_machine_tips.htm

You're all welcome to read it and comment on it if you like, but I'd like to say that "constructive criticism" is more welcome than flames! ;)

I'm looking specifically for factual errors and/or important things I may have left out.

This article won't actually be available until after I've gotten some feedback, so no fragile young minds will be warped quite yet.

Thanks!

CT

Don't really know much about drum machines so I can't really comment on most of the stuff.

As a lot of people use computers for recording nowadays, it'd be nice to even just quickly mention the fact that there is software available that can be used of a drum machine. Just a thought?

I think most of the info here is quite useful but it would be more useful to present the information in a way that captures all MIDI implementations of drum sequencing instead of just the generic drum machine.
They share alot of the same issues whether or not you use my method- CW based MIDI playback of two stereo drumsets on a Roland SC-88.
The only particular nidpick I can come up with is your advice to leave off velocity sensitivity which I don't quite understand. Velocity Sensitivity used during a keyboard input is part and parcel of a method of capturing a very human feel to an otherwise mechanical performance.

Hey CT-

I thought it was a pretty good article, but agree that you should (when you get more experience) go into the midi aspect. As far as velocity - on the sr16, go to record setup, page 5 - the sr16 has 8 different velocity settings, so you should be able to find one to keep from hammering the pads so hard.

As far as pictures added to the text, I would like to see Miss "Alesis Monitor Two's" in a thong proudly displaying the sr16. :D

mutt

Yes, its comprehensive on playing a drum machine, but my personal experience is that (maybe like previous posts) as many people program their drum modules/machines through a midi sequencer as use the buttons on the front!
Are you maybe going to have another section on midi programming? If so, that's fair enough :-)

Also, have you considered finding/drawing some piccies/diagrams? Might help clarify/brighten up!

Is there going to be a huge series of these 'Masterclasses' eventually??

good idea!

matt

I thought the article was very useful in
understanding the workings of various drum
machines. I own the Boss DR202 Groove Machine
and a lot of your advice can be used to operate this machine.I guess you can write up
a PartII article on Midi implementation of
drum machines.

Thanks Charles....I printed it out...I guess I'll start messing with my alesis again...I hate the manual that came with it.....I've also had a lot of fun with fruityloops, so maybe between the two I'll get a better (or at least passable) drum sound....gibs

Thanks for the feedback, guys. I have given some thought to making some figures. All that text looks so BORING! :)

The article is meant to discuss programming things like the Boss, Alesis and other self-contained drum machines. I've not worked with the MIDI controlled modules, so I don't feel comfortable giving tips about them.

Drstawl, the reason I suggest leaving off velocity sensitivity except when needed is that in my experience with the self-contained drum machines (especially the SR-16), the amount of force needed on those tiny pads to get the "full" sound (i.e. the loudest sample, which tends to sound best for rock stuff) is such that you'd quickly wear out your fingers (and, I expect, the contacts in the pads) bashing away like that.

I agree 100% that the dynamic sensitivity feature is crucial for capturing a more human feel, and I think I mention using it as much as possible. But your point is well taken and I may clarify that section.

Again, thanks for your feedback, guys!

[This message has been edited by CharlesThomas (edited 06-02-2000).]

I thought it was generally pretty good for a beginner. I had to learn a lot of these things on my own.

Some of my ideas, which sometimes overlap with yours (same caveats you gave - my opinions only, what works for me may not work for others, etc.):

1) Beiginners really need to understand the importance of patience. You know the old "80/20 rule"? It takes 20% of your time/effort/concentration/whatever to get the first 80%, then the remaining 20% takes 80% of your effort. It's easy to do basic patterns but, like you said, the human feel is important and that's what takes some time.

2) Using short patterns helps another way. You can create a basic pattern, then make copies with subtle variations. These variations not only make the song a little more interesting, they can also be used as cues for changes, the start or end of solos, etc.. This helps me when I record the rest of the song.

3) It's easy to get carried away with the editing capabilities and I fell into that trap at first. I eventually built a small number (6 in my case) of custom kits that handle just about everything I play. I only play with the built-in effects when I think it's really needed. This gives more more time and energy to focus on what I'm "playing"

4) It sounds stupid but I do it and there was a thread a few months ago about it. To help it sound beliveable, like it's one drummer at a drum kit, "air drum" the pattern before you progam it. This probably isn't necessary with dance music.

Anyway, I thought the article was really good for a beginner. It would have helped me when I first got my drum machine. I like to try programming mine with a sequencer, so I'd love some tips on that. If you're not into that yet then maybe someone who knows what they're doing could collaborate with you?

Mutt:

Yeah, I know. "Low" "High" and then the fixed velocity ones. "Low" and "High" both require me to beat the living crap out of the pads (seriously). Perhaps it's just my particular SR-16.

I've had other makes and models with the same problem, tho', so that's why I mentioned it in the article. I used an HR-16 (the predecessor to the SR-16) that actually DID have the contacts in the pads wear out from such abuse. Same with my first drum machine... umm... can't remember who made it, but they were a synth company that went out of business. Sequential Circuits?

CT

P.S. For everyone else... I added a couple illustrations to the article. Nothing much, but it does liven things up a bit. :D

DaveO:

You reminded me of something that I was planning on putting in the article but forgot about (copying repeated sections into a new pattern and doing some variations to avoid things sounding too much the same). I'll put it in the "helpful tips section".

As for the air drumming, I actually sit the drum machine down in front of me and play hi-hat (open and closed), snare, and both crash cymbals on the same pass and keep "air" kick and hi-hat with my feet. It keeps things sounding real and avoids those "fake" sounding situations like where you have hi-hat straight through AND toms AND crash cymbals (where'd that extra arm come from??).

It's only really helpful if you've played an actual drum kit, but it helps me since I was a drummer for years before I became a guitarist.

Someday I'm gonna get a MIDI controller with some bigger pads that I can hit with sticks. Problem is that all of 'em I've seen cost more than my damned drum machine! :mad:

CT

O.K. Charles Thomas....Mr. Top 40 in Madison on mp3.com...Mr. Know-it-all..You stepped into my playing field now.....punk

Just kiddin' I thought your article was fine. I just have one thing to add. Now when putting a drum kit together it is also important to remember that elec drum or samples are pitch based. So, if you can, try to pick samples or change the pitch of samples to fit the key, scale, or common notes of the song the beat is for.

keep the articles commin'

[This message has been edited by POLease (edited 06-02-2000).]

Back