Huge Project

thegatekeeper

Hey guys, I'm heading a huge project in my church. Thing is it's a newly renovated modern baptist church. We have drums, keys, guitars, bass percussion etc etc. The thing is we have no acoustical treatment except the carpet! And recently other members of the congregation have noticed the same thing. So I was the chosen one, to lead an acoustical treament process. We have about 5 men to work, and everything will be diy. 3 of the guys are construction workers and have the tools, and training necessary to produce nice results quickly. The problem we have with the room that is the most audible is reverbation. Soo much reverb that we barely need a pa system. Sometimes the drums are louder than the whole freakin pa system!! I'll post up some dimensions tomorrow. It's a farily large hall, for about 200 people. Like I said I'll post up some dimensions, so that we can get started. Any and all information will be highly appreciated. Thanks guys!

Good luck.

Large spaces like that are a whole different animal than a standard room. Hang in there though - it can be done.

Bryan

Like a home studio, you need absorption and diffusion.

You can add absorption by making 2' x 4' 703 panels and hanging them from the ceiling in rows about 6' apart. Diffusion is harder to add because of the scale. Usually the side walls are flat and you get a lot of echo between them. That can be tamed with more absorption on the walls, but if you can find an asthetic way to break up the flatness, that would be better.

The good thing about a project like this is that you're not trying to fine tune the place, so noticeable improvements should be easily had.

Back