HS2002: Solo Button & Tempo Ratio Misbehaving

BluesMeister

Occasional Poster
Hi there Walkers Of Cake,

I'm using HS2002, here's a couple of problems you may be able to solve for me:

1) The Solo button doesn't work as expected. When I click on , it mutes everything including the track that is suppose to be soloed. :(

I compose MIDI tracks that later I will replace by recording my electric guitar, then delete the MIDI 'guide' tracks until I'm left with just MIDI drum & audio.

I wanted to solo one of the MIDI tracks, but the only way I can achieve this so far is to mute the other tracks one by one with the [M] button.

2) In the same project as above, I wanted to change the tempo ratio briefly to rush through part of the project, so I clicked on the TR2 button (as in Tempo Ratio 2).

Sure enough the tune sped up - but the pitch also changed! :(

I'm sure this is not supposed to happen. When I changed back to the original tempo ratio, the tempo remained at the faster rate and higher pitch, but the vertical line that moves along the measures reverted to the slower rate! So what I'm seeing and what I'm hearing are completely out of synch. :(

In addition, the sound would stop after one bar although the project continued to scroll.

Believe me, I'm mightily baffled. Anybody experienced anything
similar?

--
BluesMeister

...Well Blues my brutha, you know I don't use HS2002 but SONAR instead. But let's see in SONAR point of view...

1. To solo the track, select it (or keyboard shortcut use ",") and hit "/"... Does it work ?

2. Once I ever get this in CWPA9, after a while, I realize it has something to do with Memory Manager I used then. Turn it off if you use it. I believe you use internal synth as well, don't you ? ;)

Hope it helps...

;)
Jaymz

Is Tempo A Temporary Thing?

Hey James,

Thank you for responding. I'm not sure you'd want me for a brother! Maybe an uncle :)

1. To solo the track, select it (or keyboard shortcut use ",") and hit "/"... Does it work ?

No it doesn't. I also tried the pull down menu TRACK>SOLO /> with the same result, it muted all of tracks, including the one I'm trying to solo.

I also tried soloing every track. In theory if every track is soloed they should all play, right? Wrong! Total silence. Mondo silencio! :(

2. Once I ever get this in CWPA9, after a while, I realize it has something to do with Memory Manager I used then. Turn it off if you use it.

Mmm. I'm not sure if I have one! :) The only memory management on my PC that I'm aware of is Windows' own. I've no idea whether or not I should be fiddling with that. I should point out right here -> I only have 128MB of RAMbo :)

I believe you use internal synth as well, don't you ?
I do. The Edirol VSC DXi is in use for this particular track.

Another thing I've noticed - this may be related to the tempo anomaly - when I set loop points and select looping on, when the tune goes back to the starting loop point, the tempo & pitch speed up momentarily then settle back to the original settings. The best way I could describe it is like the old analogue turntables with a record playing. If you give the turntable a boit of a speed up by hand it's the same sort of effect.

--
BluesMeister

Aha!

Your problem is that you cannot solo only the MIDI track. You need to solo the MIDI track as well as its corresponding audio track with the VSC assigned to it.

In other words, never solo a MIDI track if you are using a DXi softsynth. It you mute the audio track with the DXi assigned as an FX, you will hear absolutely nothing.

The output of the MIDI track is always routed as the input to the audio track with the DXi softsynth.

Solo In Soho

You see, you guys are the best. :)

I posted the same questions on the official CakeWalk HS2002 news group and got zilch relies.

To Brzilian and Pedullist, my thanks. I was telling Mrs BluesMeister last night that I'd printed out one of the paragraphs from the HS2002 help file, and it has precisely what Brzilian and Pedullist both said. I read it out to her and she didn't have a clue what I was talking about (so what else is new???) I tried what you suggested, and of course it works!

Big thumbs up to you two! Have yourselves a virtual pat on the back from ol' BluesMeister. I'm a non-smoker so I won't be handing out the virtual cigars. :)

I'm not sure how to group together the Solo buttons, but I'll have a go anyway.

Now about that Tempo problem, any ideas?

--
BluesMeister

Re: Solo In Soho

BluesMeister said:

I'm not sure how to group together the Solo buttons, but I'll have a go anyway.

BluesMeister

Right click on the solo button of the miditrack, group it to A (for instance), now right click on the solo button of the audiotrack, group it to A also. Can't get any easier.

And read the help file, there's too much 'hidden' features in these wonderful program to discover on your own. I pity my own stubbornness. I could have mixed my last album much better if I had read the help file first... :)

It's Getting Better All The Time...

Pedullist said:
About the tempo misbehaving: are we talking about midi or audio here?
We're talking MIDI, that's the reason why I'm so baffled. With my PA7 (now gone to the great Recycling Bin in the sky) the tempo button worked as one would expect, the tempo changed by the appropriate factor, but the pitch remained constant. I'm beginning to think it may be a VSC DXi problem. I'll fire up HS2002 with VS3 (Virtual Sampler) as a DXi and see what happens. Stay tuned :) You'll note from an earlier post of mine in this thread that I'm having similar odd-behaviour with looping.

When I was using PA7, my audio card was an SB AWE 64 Gold (I still have it though I'll be selling it on E-Bay before too long). I wasn't using a synth - although there was one bundled with it WG or something like that?

Thanks for the tip regrading the grouping of buttons. ;) It's next on my list of things to get to grips with...
And read the help file, there's too much 'hidden' features in these wonderful program to discover on your own.
Ah yes, when all else fails, read the instructions.:) HS2002 is a mighty neat bit of kit with many more features than I'll ever need. Still, I look forward to getting to grips with it.

Your help is very much appreciated. :cool:

--
BluesMeister

Back