HRC: Attempt#2; Raw Crawdad

Damn.

I'm hitting the sack now and "damn" is about all I can come up with. I'll try again tomorrow.

Geez, Al. Thanks for that one - just what I needed at the end of the night (it's 2 am here).

Damn.

Great song.

Chris

An acoustic, some slide, and 2 of the coolest voices to ever come out of one human being.

There's no way I could NOT love everything about this man. You're always at least very good, and sometimes, you're great.

This is great, and I have no bullshit in me right now.

Such a clean recording. The reproduction of your sound is so terrific. Man that slide guit on the right side sounds like it's right in the room with me. A great job.

Now slap a bunch of compression and good large hall reverb on it and this sucker will sound sweet :D:D:D. Or not.

The harmonies at 2:32 begin out of sync by a little bit.

Nice pretty song.

wow, great writing...i could probably learn a thing or two from you....;)

the recording is clean and this one could actually stand on its own as is without further processing...has a nice intimate sound to it that fits the song.....

of course if i was producing Id put some drums (tame ones, nothing fancy, kick/stick).....and Id put pedal steel in place of the slide.....

ok, starting the third listen.....the harmony sounds really good.....you have a very soothing voice.....

ok, on fourth listen, im producing again...at 3:22, i wanna break it down and get a lil funky and then come back down at 4:00.....

ok, fifth listen...ill stop producing and say, as is, this sounds awesome....great writing and recording......

MMM made a comment about the slide sounding in the same room and something about it is odd....it seems panned at different spots during the song?.....it sounds out of place when its panned out......maybe this is all in my head......

btw, this is country.....gimme a beer and an ugly woman......

MIKE

Gidge said:
MMM made a comment about the slide sounding in the same room and something about it is odd

I meant to say that the recording fidelity was so good, it sounded like the guitar player was "right there" in front of me (or more accurately off to my right side hehehe).

A perfect example of how a recording can come to life not because of the eq or effects, but because the performance is so damn great, and the mic placement is perfect!

This one doesn't need a thing. It has a special quality to it just in its current state and adding anything to it may take away from that...It may be dry, but it is full of emotion and that is more important!

:)

OK. I'm sober now...sheesh!!! I listened to what I did. Yeah, some real out of sync BG singing there! It does have a feel of sorts though.

Groucho, ChrisHarris, TripleM, Gidge, boydrj, and Kramer--thanks for listening. I like this song for some reason. I have a version that I did as a demo a while back--it was guitar and voice cut in one take, then bass, piano and some strings were added. I should make a dry mix of it and post it just for comparisons sake.

You guys made me feel great, especially about the tune, cause that was about all that was carrying this one--in this form. I'm gonna mix that other one dry and post tonight.

Pretty well done. I could hear Alan Jackson doing this song. Nice hook, nicely written. Good sound.

kjam22 said:
Pretty well done. I could hear Alan Jackson doing this song. Nice hook, nicely written. Good sound.

Nice compliment......but 'dad' smokes A.J. in the stretch bigtime.

Really nice work ! 'dad', esp considering the circumstances..naaaah fuck that, nice job regardless!

ps.. while I was there, I listened to "River # 3" again for the 50th or so time, man , does that tune OWN me..............but on this listen , I felt the bottom end could use a tad boost.

Screw me after 50 liistens............. it's the lyrics and emotionally perfect accompaniment that get me! Forget the bass comment!

Ralph

Last edited:
Kjam, flat-9---Thank you both! You guys are the bomb! AJ is pretty damn good at country though!

Like I mentioned, I posted another version--an earleir, prettier one. Did the dry mix on it. Everything was tracked without FX or compression and EQ, so its technically within the RULES. :D (gotta stick to the rules, ya know!)

http://www.nowhereradio.com/artists/?aid=1522/singles.shtml

Dreamin Alternate early demo

d@mn...

I should try that whole "drinking" thing sometime.... maybe I'd end up with a tune as sweet as this.

:p

That was great dude. Very simple and clean. Very nice tune too.

WATYF

very very nice tune. The AJ comments were on the mark and he could do this one nicely. But I feel like this one could be cut in the R Travis tradition effortlessly, as the singing sounds. Really touching tune...Kudos

flat-9--Caught the edit! I'm letting that one sit. It still needs the perfect vocal track and a few tweaks. I just want to get far enought away from it so it seems fresh when I come back.

W.I.S.C.--Thats way too kind! Last night, after my stupid binge, I felt like a total fool! Today, I'm trying to quit smoking---man, I'm cracking! I feel like this is a decent song, but maybe the worst recording I've ever posted here. At least the feeling seems to come across, and maybe thats all thats really important.

WATYF--No! Don't do it! I'm ready to start the 12 step program today ( he said in a voice that seemed to lack true certainty of committment). Ah, what do I know. Mostly, I think music is best performed clean and sober. Ohh, but there are a few times when a drink or three made an average blues band into a houserockin' extravaganza!:D I appreciate the song comment. Thats whats important to me most of all.

Toki987--You got me thinking I should really go for the trad country thing on this one. Either guy could get it across as if they wrote it--which I think is the mark of a great artist. Those are two of the best. There are more technically gifted singers, but I like the ones who make me feel like they are singing right to me--and they aren't even concerned with vocal tricks and calisthenics (SP?)

Tonight, I feel very thankful to have you all as friends. Thanks to each and every one of you. You keep me dreamin those dreams!

Oh, this is YUMMY. You have a wonderful warm resonance in your voice! the slide guitar is a delight, intimate and soulful, and so present. You did this DRUNK? You suck. :)

...dammit, wish I could sing....

Cheers!
Phil "Llarion: The Jazzinator" Traynor
www.llarion.com

Seriously man... this is great... I just listened to it again and downloaded it for my official "HR.com" playlist... this is a great melancholy song.

WATYF

Back