hows this setup so far?

hd1903

i don't know much but this is my conclusion for what i want/need so far. i'm trying to peice together what i'm learing and whats best for me, not easy.

audiophile 2496(usb or pci?)
SP-5B Studiophile Active Monitors
audio techinica atm-25 mic
shure sm57's for the rest
cool edit pro

my questions are, does this look like i'm going in the right direction, does all this match up good?

i need to record atleast 8 tracks at a time, what examples of mixers would be good for this, i can't afford alot but don't want to cheat myself either.

am i set with mic's for a rock band demo, vocal mic?, are overhead drum mic's /room mic's critical for recording.(are they basicly the same thing?)

should i have a mastering prog to finalize a demo, can cool edit do it ok.

thanks for any help

hd1903,

The Audiophile 2496 is a 4X4 I/O card. You won't be able to record 8 SEPARATE tracks at one time. You can record 8 tracks throuh a mixer then have 2 stereo busses (ie 4 channels) running into the Audiophile...

Other than that.. I don't know about the other stuff enough to comment. That just stood out for me ;)

I'm guessing that Cool Edit Pro can record more than 2 tracks at one time?

Porter

the audiophile is not 4/4, unless you can make use of the SPDIF. it only has 2 analog ins and outs.

the only thing you're missing from your list are preamps, which would be included if you bought a mixer.

sm57s can be used for almost anything. but condensors are usually the mics of choice for drum overheads and vocals. a studio projects B1 is a well-regarded cheap condensor and could sound good on a lot of things (i have a B3, which i really like).

what exact models or brands of good mixer/pre amps would you suggest, and how would someone normaly record 8 or more tracks at a time, different card or is it the mixer/pre amp that will make it happen.

hey jrosenstein, just noticed your from providence. a stone throw away from me in fall river. howdy neighbor , are you in any bands or got a studio or anything, maybe we bumped into each other before. thanks for the info jrosenstein ,and the rest of you guys.

i'm actually from new jersey, i just go to school up here

there is a difference between being able to record 8 channels at a time and being able to record 8 sources at a time *independently*, which is also different from being able to mix 8 independent tracks together.

to explain:

With a typical soundcard, you can only record 2 channels at once. If you want to record everything in one take, you can use a mixer to combine as many signals as you want into one stereo signal, but once you record it, you will never be able to extract any individual instrument/mic from the mix. i.e. if you want to make the snare louder, you're screwed.

With something like an Aardvark Q10 or M-Audio 1010, you can record 8 simultaneous but independent channels. So if you so desire, you can compress and eq JUST that snare, after the fact. There are also a number of 4-channel cards out there.

Even with a 2-channel (stereo) soundcard, you CAN, however, do as many overdubs as your software can handle. using any multitrack software (including cool edit pro), you can lay down 15 separate guitar tracks, as long as you don't record them all at once. (monitor your previously-recorded tracks as you play the new one)

Back