How's this newbie mix sound?

Daniel | Davis

http://www.sendspace.com/file/iiqwp2

It's a clip from a song I'm working on that's over 10 minutes, actually. I only posted this 30 second clip just to see if I'm on the right track. This clip also is at a point within the song that most of the instruments are playing at the same time. I'm just trying to see if this mix isn't too hurtful on the ears, especially for a newbie like me. Let me know what you think!

Yeah it's hard to get anything from that short clip, but I agree that it needs a wider stereo field. Everyhting sounds too close to the middle.

Thank you gentlemen! I think I will mess with the panning a bit. I'll open up Logic and repost with some values tonight. I'd post the whole .wav, but I figure as me being a new guy here very few people would care to check the whole thing out (and even download the whole thing!). Especially because I haven't contributed enough yet (although I can only really comment on the performing and the composition).

I'll try megaupload next time too.

I appreciate the need to pst a wav. file but it really does become a problem with time &/or download limits.
Consider soundclick or similar - you have to reduce to MP3 (annoying quality loss) but you can set up then for MP3 download hi & lo fi streamers as well as create a catalogue of your own stuff so people can cross reference earlier material or version etc.
Similarly access to some sites like mspace & utub is often limited when folk are checking stuff out in alunch break etc from work (esp. in a govt job).
From the sample - you do need to look at your stereo image as well as the bottom end - there's a crowd in the lower freqs and a sparsity in the upper.
Probably a bit too much bass git to begin with.
Also there doesn't seem much depth - everything seems to occupy the same space - not in L - R sense with this comment - front to back is what I mean: almost everything feels like it's at the same vol except the flute(?).
Some good ideas and the playing seems good.

Back