Howard Stern mics.

I've always found it very amusing how the microphone selection seems to establish pecking order on the show.

Howard -> TLM103
Robyn -> SM7
Gordy(?) -> RE-20
Guests -> Sitting, a stick mic with foam windcover. Standing, random handheld dynamic, often Shure Beta 57. :confused:

The decision seem driven as much by appearance as sound. Also, I bet Howard wants to sound the most expensive. He has an inferiority complex. :p

What I don't understand is how do they not ruin their mics? I thought moisture (spit) was bad for condensers? I haven't seen any pop filters on that show.

I watched it last night and their were probably 3 RE20's set up for guest and Robin uses an SM7. Don't know what Howard was using.

In his last show Howard was using a Neumann U87...

I think It's pretty safe to say howard uses a differant mic depending on how he feels on that particular day. :D

Carter Simcoe said:
you know your a musician when you look past the topless women to figure out what kind of microphones they are using.

BTW im not making fun of you guys, I was wondering the same thing the other night:D

That was funny!

I saw the red Neumann square on Stern's mic, but I just saw a still shot of Robin's and now I think it's not the Shure.

OK, I have to ask because I see this fairly frequently so there must be some method to the madness. Why do folks resurrect a thread like this that is 12 years old? How far back in the threads do you have to search to even find it? There must be a good reason as it seems to happen more than I would expect.

OK, I have to ask because I see this fairly frequently so there must be some method to the madness. Why do folks resurrect a thread like this that is 12 years old? How far back in the threads do you have to search to even find it? There must be a good reason as it seems to happen more than I would expect.

Because there are already "x" amount of people that have expressed interest in the thread, who will receive some kind of update that there's a new message. Also, the original post, and replies, didn't contain any dated material, so it's likely that there is still some amount of remaining interest in the topic. I just pulled all of that outta my ass, but it seems reasonable, right?

Thread archaeology, I like it. :D

i think what keeps on h appening is the new feature under the thread that has search shows up w/ related word or something and people click on it but don't look at the date, i do it, it happens all the time.

:eatpopcorn:

Actually, if you just google "Howard Stern mic" this is the first link that pops up... Speaking of random mics that aren't RE20s, anyone know what this one is???s-l1600.jpgs-l1600 (1).jpgs-l1600 (2).jpg

Back