How Would You Improve This Setup?

RTWmaniac

I'm a total novice when it comes to recording and the little I know, I taught myself. I arbitrarily accumulated random pieces of equipment and I don't know what is most important to upgrade or replace. Here's what I'm working with:

I'm using Adobe Audtion 2.0 on a Dell Notebook, I connect with an M-Audio Fast Track USB interface, I use a JVC stereo with good speakers as my "monitors" and sometimes a mediocre pair of Sven headphones. My main instrument is a Yamaha XP-50 keyboard and I also use Ibanez (gotta get rid of that floating bridge!!) and Dean guitars. I have a decent Fender combo amp and also a Marshall Valvestate head. I realize this isn't the best but I use it for the distortion. I also have one mic that was originally part of a set. Don't really know the quality but it sounds okay to my ignorant ears. My keys sound good in my mixes but the guitar tones need work.

I should also mention that I'll be in the market for a new computer/laptop in the upcoming months. I'm a PC man so, unless a Mac would be unanimously superior in the world of audio engineering, I'd like to stick with a PC. Anything I should consider before buying, like soundcards or whatever?

It would help a lot if anyone could give me a quick list of things in my setup to replace or upgrade, in order of importance. I'm not loaded, but I don't mind shelling out a few grand over the next year as long as it's worth it. Thanks!

If you're using it for purposes other than recording as well, go PC. If it's a recording only, as much as I love PCs, macs tend to work better.

Also, you asked how to improve the setup. You don't specify how good your speakers are, you might want to buy some better monitors.

If you're using it for purposes other than recording as well, go PC. If it's a recording only, as much as I love PCs, macs tend to work better.

Also, you asked how to improve the setup. You don't specify how good your speakers are, you might want to buy some better monitors.

Yeah, 'cuz Macs can't do letters or numbers or interwebs or emails or nothing! I'm getting rid of all 5 of my Macs and buying PCs and finally joining the 90's.

(Sorry, couldn't resist! :D)

PC vs. Mac is irrelevant unless you want a specific brand of software that is only available on one or the other. Stick with what you know, I'd say.

As far as the rest, I'd say your weakest points in your ware at this point are the fact that you only have one microphone of dubious or at least unknown quality, and you're running it through about the cheapest preamps you can buy in that FastTrack. If you really want your acoustic gits to shine, it ain't gonna happen that way.

But then again, if your statement "Don't really know the quality but it sounds okay to my ignorant ears" is really true, then I wouldn't waste my money on any more hardware or software until your ears develop to the point where you can hear how your current gear is holding you back. Work on your ear training is probably what you need the most right now. :)

G.

My friend (an expert in recording) use a P.C. but when it break down and they always fuck...g do he can fix it. I had a lot of fun with cakewalk on P.C. but I'm never going back to it for recording. I now use a digital multitrack. You don't have 1000 of sound effect but it does play the song from the beginning till the end. It's a start but I'm still not happy with the quality of the recording. I'm trying to find help on this sites for recording technics if anyone have some site I can check that tells how to use the mic and amps and compressor for the best track recording please let me know.

Back