How well will this work (basement ceiling)?

cellardweller

I need to isolate a portion of my basement to the best of my abilities.
I currently have a bunch of 2x4's to work with, some paneling, some drywall, couple rolls of insulation,etc...

1. put insulation rolls up between 14 inch gaps on ceiling
  2. run 2x4's perpendicular to existing floor supports
  3. attach drywall to 2x4's

Simple eh?
SO!

Should I attach/screw the drywall to the 2x4's in as few of places as needed to decouple it as much as possible?

How many attachment points should be necessary?

Any special consideration to be taken when 2x4's are attached next to outer wall (to minimize transmission)?

I've done some digging around here, but haven't come up with anything applicable yet.
If pics might help, let me know and I'll try to get some up.
Thanks.

Last edited:
first of all how high is the ceiling ?

what instrument are you trying to isolate

how deep are the joists

what sound acoustic treatment were you going to put on the ceiling

and last what is above the room

The purpose is so that we can practice down there without having the neighbor calling the cops!

It will be drums/bass/guitar x2.

The room is below my dining room, and stretches beneath a portion of my bedroom, all of which is carpeted on the level above.

The joists are approximately 7.25 in. deep, and the space between them is approximately 14.5 in.

I have rolls of R13 fiberglass insullation (not rigid f.g., but the fluffy stuff.) to put up between the joists.

Last edited:
That'll help douple things. 2 layers of drywall would be better. As for the edges, don't put the 2x's all the way to the end - leave maybe an inch. Caulk all the edges well.

Bryan

Leave an entire inch? Really???:eek:

Probably a stupid question, but does the additional weight of the extra layer of drywall equal any structural liability? My house was built in 1948....

If you're concerned about it then you should consult a structural engineer. At the least, check with a trusted contractor. If it's wood beam construction, most likely, it's sturdier and better wood than you'd get today. What are the joists above like? (size, material, etc.) How far apart are they spaced? How far are they spanning between load bearing elements?

Bryan

i would have thought it would be ok its only like having a 10 stone person stood in the dinning room on the floor above all the time:D

i would have thought it would be ok its only like having a 10 stone person stood in the dinning room on the floor above all the time:D

If you're concerned about it then you should consult a structural engineer. At the least, check with a trusted contractor. If it's wood beam construction, most likely, it's sturdier and better wood than you'd get today. What are the joists above like? (size, material, etc.) How far apart are they spaced? How far are they spanning between load bearing elements?

Bryan
Yeah, I'd like to, but I'm broker than our economy is right now!
They're 1.5 in. wide X 7.25 in. deep...

umm...material is wood! :confused::D I'm sorry, I don't know what you mean there!

There are several existing walls down there already, so does that qualify as a load bearing element? There are also two of the telescoping metal support beams.

I'll try to answer better later when I'm able to measure, the only measurements I have right now are rough at best....

Thanks.

We kicked out the 10 ft. stoned guy...he didn't contribute anything tangible...concrete. :rolleyes::D

you could always use him as a sound diffusor untill he gets the munchies then he can play drums:D

ohh another dig at drummers:D

drummers do get the shit end of the stick in the music sceen

If other walls are under those beams and are built tight to them, then they'll act as load bearing even if they weren't originally designed to be that way. If there's a metal beam with posts under it, that's the designed load bearing element so you measure from there to the other end where it's held up.

I'm assuming since the house is older that it's not your typical today type cheap pine but something more substantial.

Bryan

Back