How to wire my small home studio?

RyanChappell

Hey

Im just starting to do some home recording an mixing. I have got a few bits of gear and just wondered on the best way to connect it all together. I have....

MacBook Pro.
Mbox 2 Mini.
M Audio Av40 Monitors.
Yamaha MG10/2 Mixer.
Behringer MDX 1200 Compressor.
Zoom 9120 Effects unit.
Korg Nano Pad/Kontrol and Key.
Small selection of mics.

What would be the best way to connect it all together.

Any advice would be great.

Thanks

Ryan

mics into your compressor OR mbox.

You do not want yo plug your mics directly into the compressor. It is meant for line level devices, and does not provide phantom power for condenser mics.
Since your mbox doesn't have insert points, it may be difficult to implement the compressor into your setup unless you use the Yamaha mixer as a mic preamp
and utilize the insert jacks on the mixer.
If you use your Yamaha mixer as your mic preamps, you would need to connect the main outputs from your Yamaha into the line level inputs on your
mbox.

There are lots of different ways to do this but, using everything you've got:

Microphone(s) into Yamaha mixer input 1
Feed compressor from mixer input 1 insert and back into mixer
Feed effects unit from mixer Aux send
Return from effects unit into mixer Aux Return
Mixer Main L/R outs to Mbox 2 line inputs
Mbox Line outputs to mixer inputs 9/10.
Monitor speakers connected to CR outputs on Mixer

I don't know your Korg device but, if it's MIDI only out, then that has to go directly to your computer. If it has audio out, it can go to your mixer inputs 7/8.

One comment is that, personally, I probably wouldn't use the external effects--you'll get better quality ones in most DAWs. Same with the compressor, though there might be an argument to use it as a limiter only on your mic as a just in case to stop clipping...but set levels so it almost never kicks in.

The simplest alternative, of course, is just to feed your mic to the Mbox and then into the computer...and sell the mixer, compressor and effects to buy more beer!

Back