How to use compression on drums?

OverlookFran

hey all!

i have read many articles on this, and i am still a bit bewildered. In my setup, i have some drums mics running into a digimax lt, then lightpiped to the 002 rack. i run a chain from the LT into a sCOM compressor for kick, snare, and toms. the settings for this i have tweaked and tweaked....but still cannot get a great sound. i am using a Shure drum mic kit, with the fat kick mic and so forth. still searching for that great drum sound. i know room size is a factor, but my space is decent. any drum micing and compression tips?

thanks!

OverlookFran said:
hey all!

i have read many articles on this, and i am still a bit bewildered. In my setup, i have some drums mics running into a digimax lt, then lightpiped to the 002 rack. i run a chain from the LT into a sCOM compressor for kick, snare, and toms. the settings for this i have tweaked and tweaked....but still cannot get a great sound. i am using a Shure drum mic kit, with the fat kick mic and so forth. still searching for that great drum sound. i know room size is a factor, but my space is decent. any drum micing and compression tips?

thanks!

OK, if you are just using the Shure kit, that's 3 57s and a B52 (or is it the PG version?). 57s aren't great for overheads. If Shure wanted to sell a real drum kit, it'd be one 57, two 81s, and a B52. So seek out an 81 or two, or another of its SDC competitors.

Back