How to transplant drum trax

acattoir

Looking for opionions. If I wanted to send someone a drum track recording (live drummer) to use in their project and was planning on 8 discreet tracks to separate the kit up, what would be the most universal or cross format way to send it. I am in the stone age using a very good sounding but old technology Akai DPS 24.

Please speak slowly, if you know what I mean. ha ha ha

Thanks a lot,
Andy

The best way is to send each as a WAV file. Your firend can then load these up into his (or her) DAW, same as any other WAV.

However, these are big files (about 9 meg a minute for stereo), so eight files for a four minute song is 288 meg, which is an awful lot of downloaidng (and uploading). You can burn them on a CD and send them by post.

If the purpose is just for messing around and trying things out, you can email them as MP3 files; about a tenth the size.

Thanks for the input. I had been thinking the WAV method would be about the only way to be universal. I wonder if midi data would be an option? Ive been using my TD-20s quite a bit and thought that midi would give the end user the option of subbing out the samples.

Yep . . . that would work. You can send a midi file of your drum track. Your friend can load this, use whatever drum sumples he has and drive them with the midi.

Cool! Do you know of an inexpensive device that records midi data? Could I get a "midi card" (does that exsist?) for my lap top? I'm a little behind the curve on technology. (ha ha you knew that already)
ac

midi to akai dps24...

Ok, take 1 midi cable from the "out" of the TD20 drum module to the "in" on the DPS24. Record your performance as midi into the DPS24 (read up in your manual for the basic procedure).
Once you have the performance on the Akai, plug the USB into your computer, and drag and drop the midi file(s) into a folder on your hard drive. Then just send the file(s) as an attachment in an email to your friend. They'll be able to put them directly into their project and edit them as they need and drive their samples.
The nice thing about midi is that you can have a complete symphony programmed in a midi file and it still be less than 1 MB. And that takes a whole lot less time to upload/download than 200+ MB of wav files.

Back