How to tackle this organ?

fishkarma

Hello,
I'm working on a mix where we got most instruments sounding great but although the organ sounds fine its a little too screachy for the mix. The track is fairly prog rock and the organ is a bit churchy. I've tried certain roll offs and various other soloutions, although I can get it to sit fine it doesnt sound as well as I think it could. Has any one got any ideas on perhaps how to best tackle the extra drawbars that got recorded?

I dont want to resort to drastic measures as it can work fine but I would like try and make it a bit more epic without tearing listeners ears off.

In case any ones wondering it was a Nord Electro II played through a Vox solid state amp; although not the best setup its been perfectly usable on other tracks recorded that session. Can't remember the mics off hand and would have to go searching for the pictures back in Ireland. Either way whats done is done and is now a mix problem unfortunatly.

Peace
-Josh

Being someone that started out in the Hammond B series days and the Farfisa through a Vox bass amp days I find that guys nowadays don't understand the drawbar tone set up that these instruments had and the unlimited tone changes that you could get. When we hire in a Hammond B (and Leslie cab) for a session the younger keyboard players just don't get it, you show them how to set up curtain sounds and "Bling" the eyes open wide and the fun begins. You have to think analog tones.

But back to your problem, I searched and found these plugins, you hay be able to get the sound you want.

Cheers

alan.

Asking how to improve something's sound without posting what it sounds like is comparable to baking a cake and asking someone in Japan how it tastes.

Heres some sound clips:
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=9IFBX7EK

2 files, organ in mix and organ with effects bypassed soloed.

@Alan
Cheers but I've tried running through emulators and have used them in other cases. In this one it doesnt sound right to me though. In this organ players case he frequently playes with his draw bars but was a bit sleepy while recording and wasn't really in a twiddling mood unfortunalty leaving me with loads of upper harmonics. Thanks for the response

Alan, would you mind doing a quick tutorial for us? I have a hammond L-111 and would like to gain some knowledge on that topic. Thanks in advance!

Hi Guys,

Well, first up I am not an expert on Hammond's, what I know is what I learned by playing around with them and being in bands with players that know how to get a great sound out of them.

I actually am a Bass player (as well as a sound engineer), I was 1st introduced to Hammond's (within the band) in the mid 70's when our Keyboard player bought a L series and a Leslie. What I 1st Learned was how heavy they were and what pain in the back it was when we did gigs with stairs.

I used to sit and play around with the Hammond at practice and the keyboard player and I used to experiment with the sounds, drawbars and the technique of throwing the leslie into fast and slow during chord changes, Oh and how to Rock the organ back and forth to get that thunder effect from the reverb springs (Thanks Keith Emerson, one of the greatest Hammond players of all time).

What I did find for you guys was this link, which has a good explanation of Drawbars.

I hoped this helps. Oh and I wish I had a Hammond and leslie of my own.

Cheers

alan.

Nice link on using drawbars, good to know the principles behind these things.
Anyway I believe the organ is hiding its flaws in the mix alright at this stage, lots of volume automation and filter automation going on now but their getting tucked away...
Cheers
-Josh

Back