How to sync with digital video

eichler

A friend of mine approached me to help with a project to video her singing along with a Karaoke track. The quality needs to be as good as possible.

Question - I would like to record her audio track using Sonar so I can add effects, etc. After we record her video and audio and after I mix down the audio, how do I re-sync the mixed audio with the digital video? Do I have to record some kind of sync track?

Any and all repsonses would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

P.S. This was also posted in the Cakewalk forum.

What format is the video, tape? in the computer? Is it going to be edited or all one take? Do you have video software?

How much do you want to spend?

>After we record her video and audio and after I mix down the audio, how do I re-sync the mixed audio with the digital video?

Since you have an audio track on the video tape, it's dead easy to line up an audio track recorded simultaneously with another audio track recorded digitally as long as you don't have any "drift" issues. If both are digital it shouldn't be a problem. They're locked to a pretty accurate clock. I've tried this with an external CDR and a DV cam and there was no noticeable drift for the duration of a tape. If one is analog and the other digital- anywhere from a pain in the ass to impossible without some sort of sync signal going on during the recording.... $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.

Maybe higher end cameras can play that game- not so sure about consumer stuff.

Back